B of the Bang

Currently reading:
B of the Bang

I went and visited this and it is a little known sculpture in Manchester. It's based outside the Manchester City Stadium "Sport City" and breath taking! A few pictures don't do it's size justice but I thought I would show people who were interested. It really is a weird sight. BTW, AFAIK, Linford Christie named it "B of the bang" as he once said "When ont he start block, you want to leave on the 'B' of the bang not the 'ang' of the bang"? Maybe wrong on that.

221104_01_480.jpg

011204_02_480.jpg

120105_07_480.jpg

Photos from http://www.bofthebang.com/weblog/blog.html Not following interlectual property laws however. :eek:

bofb_comp500.gif

Taken from the engineering company's website I think.

It's big!

amazing. i'm actually going to go out of my way to see that. the struture and design combined is absolutely impressive.
Never even knew of this.
Nice one Paul.

Nice shot of the Yellow Punto too. hehe

lol...i picked that picture for a reason. Seriously worth going if you're anywhere nearby. We went in the evening so it was clear. Parked in a bus stop and stood about 30 metres away. (Just to the left of the edge of that punto picture). I am not sure if you can park and admire it from a car park or something but if not, turn around and pull into the bus stop.

It's so weird to look at as there are so many huge thin spikes coming out, it's as if your brain can't quite understand it!

I never knew about it until my friend told me to drive us there, I couldn't understand what "b of the bang" was, say it to a mate and see if they have a clue what you're saying, he spelt it out before I worked out what he meant lol.

I'm sure it is a great engineering accomplishment, but as far as I am concerned this and many similar structures are just deficating on the landscape, although not quite so bad in a city environment.

I am not sure, in 3d it seems to confuse you more. You can't comprehend it. Well, my mind can't. It honestly feels as if it has energy! I think it's a great name.

I would assume steel initially. Will go have a look.

The spikes are hollow and as light as possible,while the five supporting legs are made from thick heavy steel, although visually identical to the other spikes. At the centre of the sculpture is a complex core from which all of the spikes radiate.

It is made of a special type of steel that will weather to varying degrees over the surface of the sculpture.

Quote from the www.bofthebang.com website.

I think a few spikes have dropped off, I have heard it but no idea if it is true! We joked about it as we parked close to it :S lol.

oh dear. just had a nasty image of it impaling an innocent pedestrian. well i hope they get it sorted because it would be a shame if they had to abandon the project like the tide simulating bridge on the thames.

I think it's up to stay :) It seems to be a venture using a lot of computing equipment. Not much even now is made like that so you will have problems and teething problems.

Neofolis said:
...as far as I am concerned this and many similar structures are just deficating on the landscape...
I drove past the Angel of the North the other week. It's rubbish.

H

...as with all projects. After a brief spell in the ventilation/air con/refrig/heat extraction trade on commercial and industrial level, even the simplest of projects are guarunteed to go wrong wether it be the tiniest measuring inaccuracy or something not or actually appearing on the drawings of the architect that is or isnt there.

This isn't. I give my word on it. (I felt the same as you after seeing the Angel of the north)

so from the photo and the silhouette, it looks like you can stand right under it as it leans over you? all those spiky bits would look like they are coming down onto you? coooooooooooooool!!!! must make a trip!

The Negotiator said:
I think a few spikes have dropped off
indeed many spikes have fallen off it. it may be hollow core but it'd still be deadly if it fell on u.
its a giant rusty coloured spiky thing... not quite my taste and it is damn expensive to make.
got slated by local radio stations for being what it is... (insert obscene word here)

There's always a huge Asda/Walmart and McDonalds across the way... and also (dunno if its still there), the Ocean car wash (not the former IMO things) and they use TurtleWax products only...

Back