How to get cheap insurance?

Currently reading:
How to get cheap insurance?

I'm 16, and I've been looking online at the compare websites and the cheapest quote ive had was £3994 and that was from DialDirect, I've read up about this I-Kube policy but I don't want to be tied down, as I wouldn't mind going out for late night drives its just a shame all of the lads and lasses are stereotyped nowadays. So I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to bring the insurance down a little. (I am already looking to get my PassPlus when I pass my test since that was supposed to knock 30% off).
Thanks,
Josh <3

What cars have you been looking at?

If its your car, add a parent on as a named driver, ideally someone female, that should help a bit. My mum still saves me money at 21.

Pass Plus is good, or was. I saved £450 when I did mine.

Well I've got a 58 reg 1.2 8v punto, And to be quite honest the £3994 quote is the lowest I've got so far, I'll try and add my mum.
And yeah a lot of people have recommended the pass plus.

You want to drive at 17 you have to pay the price. If you don't want to have to pay £4k for your first year of insurance then I can only suggest that you just don't drive for a few years. Of course, on the flipside, pay the large amount up front, prove that you are a good driver by building up your NCD and by the time you're my age (30) you'll have 10 years more NCB than I currently do and be getting even cheaper prices.

Swings and roundabouts...

@ Kier, all of the cars I've checked have been the same. and this has varied from S reg cinqs, 2000 corsa, 01 clios, all been around the 6k 7k mark.

Yeah I have to pay the cost to be able to drive, hopefully the second year won't be so bad

Have a look at different cars, not the 'boy racer' types. Pands are a good one. Might not be 'cool', but if it saves you a fair bit on your insurance, got to be worth it.

It always amazes me how people don't look fully into insurance when buying a car...its always the first thing I do when looking for a new car.

Tell me about it. I check the insurance cost on my Stilo before I even test drove it!

OP want my advise.

Sell your Punto, buy a 2004 Panda Active 1.1, it's group one insurance and I suspect you can buy one and insure it and still have enough change left for a tank of fuel for what you sell your Punto for. :)

Passplus took my insurance from £2500 to £1700 on my 02 plate punto, but this was 3 years ago, doesnt effect it now but was well worth it at the time.

Check out this site:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-young-drivers

got some good tips on it.
Thanks mate, all of the insurers, and the thing itself have claimed to knock 30% off the premium, hopefully, along with Aviva's 10% off for doing it online, should bring it down to about 2200, how long does it take?

there is to much assumption going on you need to do comparison quotes with and with out pass plus, with and without older more experienced drivers on the policy and so on

everything needs to be checked and double checked

there is to much assumption going on you need to do comparison quotes with and with out pass plus, with and without older more experienced drivers on the policy and so on

everything needs to be checked and double checked
Yeah, That's my next step, I was thinking of putting my dad on, he's got over 10 years NCB and He's had his license since the stone age. But i've been advised to put a woman on there, but the only thing is, my mum is on my dad's insurance, and before that she was on her parents, so she has no NCB, although she has had her license since she was 21, (a fair while ago)
Don't know what the next step is..

Yeah, That's my next step, I was thinking of putting my dad on, he's got over 10 years NCB and He's had his license since the stone age. But i've been advised to put a woman on there, but the only thing is, my mum is on my dad's insurance, and before that she was on her parents, so she has no NCB, although she has had her license since she was 21, (a fair while ago)
Don't know what the next step is..

My mum doesn't have any NCB, but still saves me money. Worth a try!

Back