Technical testing fuel pump/pipes

Currently reading:
Technical testing fuel pump/pipes

peterainbow

is there an easy way to test the fuel pump and pipes?

still trying to work out why my 1l injection engine is running rich when idling..with high co

being picky really, but just have a gut feeling...

yes done the reset and had to replace the lambda sensor a while back

although i must admit was with a generic one of ebay

changing the manifold coolant temp sensor sorted my CLX - cost about a tenner as I remember (if reading low will deliver more fuel via ECU - ie. the sensor thinks the engine is cooler than it actually is and calls for a richer mixture)
I think there's a thread on this some years back where we compared readings of resistance of the unit at different engine temps...(?)
It's most unlikely it's the pump that's delivering too much fuel IMO...

If the fuel pump is delivering too much fuel, the pressure regulator will let more fuel back to tank. The pressure regulator would need to be at fault for there to be too much pressure in the lines.

i've checked the resistance on the temp sensor seemed ok

i was thinking more that not enough fuel being delivered and thus when going up hill causing a starvation and stall and this behaviour fooling the ecu into causing more in general to be pumped

but only a grasping at straws as can't work out what else could be, bad at normal/low idle ( high co , smelly , can stall uphill when cold ), but ok when warmed up and at fast idle ( mot passed at fast idle )

am wondering whether to build the ecu monitor to usb thingy mentioned elsewhere so i can get readings from the ecu...

is there an easy way to test the fuel pump and pipes?

still trying to work out why my 1l injection engine is running rich when idling..with high co

being picky really, but just have a gut feeling...

to test a fuel pump and lines you would need a fuel line pressure gauage, to check why its running rich at idle you will need an oscilliscope to check the lambda and injector pulse timing and or ignition burn time.

failing these garage items I would suggest an obd scanner - you can buy a generic one for around £40 - code read and post up what you have, I would not worry about the fuel pump as previous post, too much fuel - returned to tank, to little fuel and cutting out.

lambda's are sensitive - ebay jobs are suspect and aftermarket ones may give fail readings to the ecu or not work altogether.

I know costs are always an issue but its like looking after yourself, put effort into it and look good, go 3 days without sleep and your knackered.

Hope this helps

regarding temp sensor...i compared the resistance readings aginst those that were in another thread, but in any case there was a good shift in resistance from when cold to when hot

lambda's are sensitive - ebay jobs are suspect and aftermarket ones may give fail readings to the ecu or not work altogether.

I know costs are always an issue but its like looking after yourself, put effort into it and look good, go 3 days without sleep and your knackered.

yes been thinking about this myself...

anyone recommend a good value for money sensor then?

oh and sleep what is that?

Back