Technical Possible Ignition Switch Problem?

Currently reading:
Technical Possible Ignition Switch Problem?

oboe123

Hiya was wondering if you guys could help me out once more!
So I've got an 899 S Seicento, and recently I was driving a 20 minute journey and when I slowed down on an approach to a roundabout the engine just cut out. I then managed to bump start my car and drive on for another 5 minutes until I was slowing down for another round about when the same thing happened. This time I just started it and managed to get it home.

Once my car has cut out it won't turn over and no electrics are working not even the hazards. Also when the car is parked and the key is not turned in the ignition nothing electrical will work e.g. interior light, radio, hazards etc.

My dad reckons it could be the ignition switch?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

Owen!

im thinking it's battery related in some way

either the alternator is dead so hasnt charged the battery or its just old age battery death (but that doesnt totally explain the cut out, the alternator theory does as the engine would then need the battery to run, when the battery got low it caused a cut out, but you just had enough to bump start in no more)

get that checked first :)

also, check your battery terminals are secure and clean

Last edited:
I have to jump start it for the car to start again, sorry i forgot to say this. i have checked the battery terminals and they are clean just need to get the alternator tested next.
cheers

When you have the car connected to a jump source, does the red battery light come on when the key is in position 1?

Have you checked the earth leads? Not just looked at them, but removed, refinished and refitted?

Cheers

D

I have to jump start it for the car to start again, sorry i forgot to say this. i have checked the battery terminals and they are clean just need to get the alternator tested next.
cheers

if that car can be jump started it's pretty likely the issue is not the ignition switch then, has to really be battery.

wether thats due to the alternator either not charging or overcharging, or just the battery itself has died due to extreme old age, impossible to say without testing the alternator.

defintely check the earths and terminals properly, a look isnt good enough., take off, get some sandpaper onto them so theres clean metal showing, then refit.

Back