Technical Knocking from front, ARB budhes not suspected

Currently reading:
Technical Knocking from front, ARB budhes not suspected

Mark Saunders

The Multi has just developed a mysterious knock from the front. It sounds like it's coming from front nearside and I don't think it's either ARB bushes or drop links as it isn't doesn't appear to be related to suspension movement. It doesn't occur while yomping the Southend speed humps, but happens as the car moves off from stationery, especially after being braked to a halt. It's almost like stopping the car has wound something up and moving off is releasing it with a 'snap'.

Any ideas?

hi a fellow essex multi owner i had this problem 2 months ago and found a wishbone bush had excess play and a balljoint had gone its a easy fix and cheap at aroun 50 to 80 pound a side if it is arb bushes do knock on the multis ive found even when new unless u use some pollyflex bush witch i sorced from ebay very cheap if u need to no more about this just ask

Re: Knocking from front, ARB bushes not suspected

Thanks Pete,

I replaced the offside wishbone about two years ago as the car has started to wander around a bit and I found slack in the bush. Symptoms are quite different this time, but I'll jack it up and wiggle the wheel around to see. As I recall, the A arm came from Ebay (or possibly Shop4parts) and had the balljoint built-in.

I've already applied the 'nail fix' to the ARB bushes. This was intended as a temporary measure, also about two years ago, but is still working so I'm happy to leave it as is.

I'll report my findings on the wishbone.

Hi Pete,

good call! I jacked her up today and, sure enough, there's play in the bush at the front of the nearside A arm, accompanied by a knock as it is moved.

When I replaced the offside it was the rear bush that was shot, identifiable by an unwillingness of the car to track straight. I guess the front bush being nearer the line of the axle the effect on handling is less pronounced.

There's an A arm on FF classifieds for £25, but I noticed it's been languishing there for two years! I sent the seller a message, but I know I can get one from Ebay or Shop4parts and it's a fairly straightforward job to fit it.

happy days then easy fix stop swervin potholes it makes them last longer sudden jolts dont help either

Back