General Roof bar tracks

Currently reading:
General Roof bar tracks

Martinh

Hi all
I've just bought a March 04 2.0 JTD Dynamic
We need to fit roof bars and are going to go for Thule ones as some of the parts from our old Tipo bars will fit.

The Ulysse does not have roof bar, T tracks fitted, does anyone know if the T tracks can be added or will we have to get the fitting kit that clamps around the door frame, the main dealer did not seem to know!

Thanks, Martin

Hi

This is an old story, that I never sorted [decided to buy a CD-Changer for Stilo instead of investing in a Ulysse roof-box].

I presume you haven't got the standard roofbar [FIAT do not sell a fixing kit for these anyway] - my local dealership did suggest the Thule ones from the Brio magazine, but I refused to pay extra for something I already had.

There is an old thread about this which I will hunt out.

BTW, welcome to the forum :)

I think the roof bars that came with my Ulysse are rated at 100KG each bar
My roof box is only rated at 50KG so no problem.
I have already had a new set of roof bars fitted under warrenty as the rear one broke the latch that locks the bars in place.
the STD Fiat ones are not a very clever design at all.
They have a clever easy catch system to release the bars and let them slide.
But because the tracks along the roof aren't parallel the roof bars have to get wider and narrower as you move them up and down the roof. So a small latch locks the width when you fix the position. It's not very strong.
Also when locking the bars in place they lift away from the roof by pushing down in the track and locking between the bottom inside of the track and the nottom of the rail. This causes the roof bars to wobble and rattle under load.
Given the choice I'd have not had the Fiat bars and gone for something better.

I thought the main problem was fixing onto the Aerobars.

Standard Thule roofbox fixings don't fit, and would damage the metal. Halfrauds sell a fixing kit, but at an extortionate price. Fiat dealerships DON'T sell them.

Some people have managed to make their own fixings using B&Q U-bolts and pipe-lagging.

When we ordered our roofbox from http://www.roofbox.co.uk/
They had an optional fitting kit for the roofbars which are wider and bigger than std.
They seem to work just fine. They are made of two plastic blocks that clamp together over the roof bar and then the box is screwed to them from above.

Thanks for the replies, I think that we will have to go for the bars that fit around the edge of the door frames.
Martin.

I'd get 3rd part roof bars and use the T track already there.
Got to be less problem than door frame fitting.

How do you go about removing the Fiat roof bars? I have Thule bars and bike carriers from my last car, and I understand I just need to change the foot pack from a roofbar kit to a T-track kit (4610, apparently, which can be obtained for £50) but I will need to remove the Fiat bars, which are far to wide to fit the Thule bike carriers to. I had a quick look but it wasn't obvious how to take them off.
Martin

I think they slide out of the track at the end, but you have to puish something in or unscrew a stop, I can't remember to be honest.

Andy

Yes at the end of the track theres a metal stop that needs to be unscrewed (funny star screw) the bars will then slide into that space and slip out.

Back