• OK, could be better seat angle

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Bad, can't seem to get either at right angle

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gm3087

Hi can anyone help!

I swapped my Smart car for a Fiat 500 as i have always wanted one, but starting to get disalussioned as it has this rattle/clunking from underneath. It has been in and out of the dealers 4 times (god knows how much i have spent but its still not fixed). I can only hear it when going slowly and it does sound a bit like a rattly exhaust but its not and its from underneath the passenger front seat or rear footwell. Its driving me round the bend, i've had the shocks replaced, the exhuast checked and the hand brake cable casing replaced but its still there ! can anyone offer any suggestions!
:bang::worship::cry:
but id like to be (y):):D

Hi can anyone help!

I swapped my Smart car for a Fiat 500 as i have always wanted one, but starting to get disalussioned as it has this rattle/clunking from underneath. It has been in and out of the dealers 4 times (god knows how much i have spent but its still not fixed). I can only hear it when going slowly and it does sound a bit like a rattly exhaust but its not and its from underneath the passenger front seat or rear footwell. Its driving me round the bend, i've had the shocks replaced, the exhuast checked and the hand brake cable casing replaced but its still there ! can anyone offer any suggestions!

I can empathise with rattles - they can drive me bonkers as well. The one that I had was from knackered shocks which I had replaced under warranty on the 'dealers' warranty. (y). Given that you have had to spend you own money (n) it would appear that your car is out of the manufacturers warranty. There was another guy on here with a problem that 'they' could not get to the bottom of and the previous post's suggestion of a different garage is spot one. I have a funny hunch that it might still be the exhaust.
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/269346-excessive-oil-consumption.html?p=2786252

I have a rattle coming from the passenger side. I hardly ever happens when there is a passenger so i'm convinced its the seat belt.

I have a rattle coming from the passenger side. I hardly ever happens when there is a passenger so i'm convinced its the seat belt.[/QUOTE

I have the same thing, passenger seat belt buckle vibrates against the side pillar by the door. Easily sorted
smile.gif

My fan rattles on setting two and three. The strange thing is if i steer right it stops or if I hit the centre console hard! I now just put it down to 'character'!

I'd check out the rear shocks, I recently replaced mine (for £60 delievered for the 2), with non Fiat sourced ones, as orignals where completely broken in 18000 miles and there was a rattle, cos the top bushes had disintegrated. Any way if any thing rattle got worse. Took it to the local garage who lifted back end of the ground and noticed that the 2 springs stopped touching the spring pans at full suspension dangle. They concluded they were too long. I took car home and took of new shocker, it was 1 inch longer than the original, therefore allowing too much suspension travel, and that after a bump the springs and spring pans clatter together again. Spoke to supplier who guessed that my car may have been fitted with sports suspension and kindly offered to order some sport shockers from Italy, but that would take a month. I when down the fiat dealer with new and old shocker. After much wait, they did confirm that my car had normal suspension and the original shockers were right but as they had no shocker in stock it was not posible to show me. NOW the BAD news, Fiats proper shockers (£69 each) are on back order with no ETA so could take months themselves to arrive. I tried the Ford dealer who had 1 ford KA in but it had tape around it to compress it, so I couldn't compare lengths and at £90 I wasn't going to buy one.

I get this terrible ear-piercing shrieking noise when I go over 80. It only happens when my wife is in the passenger seat...

LadyKitching complains of a terrible ear-piercing shrieking noise when she uses the brakes to slow down. Apparently this only happens when I'm in the passenger seat... (fra) ;)

[In fairness, I I'd better add that LadyKitching is a pretty accomplished ecoDriver & usually manages to better 60mpg on the trip on her 40 mile daily commute in the Panda.]

Last edited:
Does anybody have a rattle from the plastic under the steering wheel where the air bag is? I'm not too concerned as it stops when I put my hand on it but happens when going round corners at 50 or over bumps. Also hear a slight clunk when going over speedbumps. Just had mot so sure everything should've been fine but intrigued what these could be. Not worried just curious.

Does anybody have a rattle from the plastic under the steering wheel where the air bag is? I'm not too concerned as it stops when I put my hand on it but happens when going round corners at 50 or over bumps. Also hear a slight clunk when going over speedbumps. Just had mot so sure everything should've been fine but intrigued what these could be. Not worried just curious.

I get a noise like a corrugated plastic tube being dragged along something notchy, it only does it once a journey. Anyone got any ideas?

I let my boyfriend hear the clink over speedbump noise tonight when I was driving (he drove it through week and said he couldn't hear anything) and he said it's likely my drop links causing this. Would these not have been picked up on its mot? Supposedly it's because on some speedbumps one wheels up and the other down. Also how much damage can this cause if I can't get into a garage for 3 weeks until I'm on holiday?

The rattling under steering drives me mental but I've got so use to just pressing in the plastic now

I let my boyfriend hear the clink over speedbump noise tonight when I was driving (he drove it through week and said he couldn't hear anything) and he said it's likely my drop links causing this. Would these not have been picked up on its mot? Supposedly it's because on some speedbumps one wheels up and the other down. Also how much damage can this cause if I can't get into a garage for 3 weeks until I'm on holiday?

The rattling under steering drives me mental but I've got so use to just pressing in the plastic now

The knee airbag is held in at the bottom by a screw each side and is clipped into the dash at the top. It sits on a metal rail where it screws into it. I imagine one of the screws has come loose. Push the seatbelt and get a torx screwdriver up there. Try tightening g it a bit.

The knee airbag is held in at the bottom by a screw each side and is clipped into the dash at the top. It sits on a metal rail where it screws into it. I imagine one of the screws has come loose. Push the seatbelt and get a torx screwdriver up there. Try tightening g it a bit.

Thank you will so this today hopefully. Silly que, but what's the seatbelt to do with it?

Back