Technical Turning a 2wd into a 4wd

Currently reading:
Technical Turning a 2wd into a 4wd

Harllequin

Hi there guys,

Just as the topic said. Is it possible to turn a 2wd panda into a 4wd one?

How much work in involved with mountings etc, have any of you a link to a topic about it or info on why or why not to do it.

Cheers in advance guys

Been on here quite a bit...try a search. Just to warn you it's about as popular as a diesel conversion... Ask yourself what you need.... Diff, prop, gearbox, mountings at rear to suit, exhaust, etc etc.... Hmmm sounds like a 4x4 panda..:D

Anythings possible.....

I searched quite a bit last night but couldn't find a bloody thing :(

As for the 4x4 bits I have all of those already (y)

yeah you can do it, a few lads at the local 4x4 club had a 4x4 panda that was so rusty it snapped in two(!) while they were using it on the 4x4 track.
they saved the car and bought a good 2wd panda then just swaped all the drive train over

hmm diesel converted 4x4 panda classic... now that would be my dream car

yeah you can do it, a few lads at the local 4x4 club had a 4x4 panda that was so rusty it snapped in two(!) while they were using it on the 4x4 track.
they saved the car and bought a good 2wd panda then just swaped all the drive train over

hmm diesel converted 4x4 panda classic... now that would be my dream car

Did they use a Mk1? Given that the Mk1 has the cart spring rear suspension I would have thought that a conversion would be fairly straightforward, but a Mk2 with the omega axle, well that's a different story.

Did they use a Mk1? Given that the Mk1 has the cart spring rear suspension I would have thought that a conversion would be fairly straightforward, but a Mk2 with the omega axle, well that's a different story.

Like he said... Still should be fun to give it a go. Please put up a thread to cover the conversion. You could be the pioneer.

The body is different for the 4x4 as well. The MK2 2WD models don't have the mounting points for the centre section of the propshaft or the 4x4 selector lever I think. It's not as straightforward as just bolting the bits from the 4x4 onto a 2WD chassis unless it's a MK1 or Marbella.

Having crawled around under both types, it would be very possible to do, as the basic floorpan is the same, the hardest bit I reckon would be getting the spring pick up points in the right place.

If you had another 4x4 to copy off and measure from it shouldn't be too bad. You may aswell just weld up the 4x4 though with the amount of work it would be imo, unless it is very rotten.

I'll be picking up the 2wd panda tomorrow <fingers crossed for the trailer>

Once I get it I'll see if I can do a photo updat of why I am or am not going to put the work into restoring The Grey or converting the the other guy (y)

Back