Technical Loss of power during motorway driving

Currently reading:
Technical Loss of power during motorway driving

lee_gti

The car in question is a 1.9JTD.

After driving on the motorway for approx. 20mins or so i tend to loss some power (i.e. get stuck behind a slow car but am unable to gather enough speed to overtake until revs reach over 3000).

Originally i thought that it was after heavy breaking as i only noticed it when pulling away at traffic lights/roundabouts at the end of slip roads but it is now noticable when actually driving.

Any ideas anyone? I have to drive to Devon at the end of May and could do with fixing this problem (or i will have to borrow my dads Rover!).

Thanks in advance

Lee

Usual suspects are EGR or MAF sensor, plenty of Posts / Threads on those in here, try a search (y)

Previously i had the MAF go but when that happened it was if the power stopped at 2500 revs.

The case is now that there is no power until 3000 revs making it extremely difficult to pull away from junctions, roundabouts etc during 20mins or so motorway journeys.

Lee

Last edited:
I have been reading through the forums and I am yet to find anyone with a problem that occurs after some driving. Mainly their problem occurs from the start.

How would i go about checking an EGR valve? (obviously I dont really want to drive around with a blocked valve (possibly causing damage) for a lenght of time before the current problem kicks in).

Any help/info will be appreciated.

Regards

Lee

Hey lee_gti

I am having the same problem. And do u have to put into neutral and foot to floor on pedal untill it redlines?

My stilo is doing this from starting the car.

May have to change my altonator belt as its ready... Could this be the problem??

Baggaley88....

Also mate.. Ive had my EGR off and cleaned. Still the same problem though :-(

Mate of mine says my turbo could do with cleaning as the vains could be blocked...

Baggaley88...

Have you checked the lambda, air intake pipes for splits, or leaks in the exhaust before the lambda sensor? Having a similar prob with my hgt and I'm almost certain its the lambda sensor.

Back