Change the image hosting rules!

Currently reading:
Change the image hosting rules!

Brilliant suggestion this.

This forum is the first I have ever used (and I use a lot) to have a system where only local images can be posted. I have a few complaints about the system.

1. It's not 'easy' to upload images. As a noob, first thing I wanted to do it shove up some pics of my car. On any other forum, I'd go to my image hoster, upload the image, and shove the code in. Done. Here, I had to actually research how to upload images. It is not intuitive at all.
2. Why the hell do you let us embed images that are not locally hosted. - If you hate it so much, put in a script that blocks them.
3. Better still, actually integrate a local image uploader into this reply box. Instead of when you click image it coming up with an "enter url", get it to allow you to upload them.
4. If you insist on making us host them here, why do such low quality? You have recognised the need to remove dead links to images, but you replace them with poor low quality ones. It's tight. You have a lot of donations, spend a little and get some proper bandwidth.
5. If you absolutely insist on making them be local, then do it for the first post in the members motors, not all of them.
6. If you think this system is so much better, sort it out. Since i've been on here (less than a week) I've had three periods of large downtime, and heavy traffic constantly. I can guarantee my image hoster has better uptime - never, ever ever seen it go down, and am sure it will stay that way.
7. On the list of important rules, this just is not one of them. Dead links are a bitch, fine, get a bot to run around deleting threads with dead images. It saves your mods PMing everyone to tell them, then having to replace links in threads. Come on, it's slow and stupid. You're wasting your time. Get a bot to do the job for you.

To sum up, I dislike the image rules. You won't agree. I await your response, and, please, respect my views.

lol,thats an angry post
so you are complaining about the image hosting rules
well the point is that people who host offsite can(and have in the past) made a thread defunct as the images are gone
the rules are in place for one section of the forum
what did you struggle with on the iamge uploading? i dont see what you struggled with?
attaching or using the gallery?
as for point 7,well deleting threads wth dead links is shutting the door after the horse has bolted

oh and downtime? I havent seen any or had anyone mentioning downtime

Last edited:
i never found it too difficult to upload photos and ive never found them to be of poor quality. personally i think the system is fine. but i can also see the point of other forums not having this rule. but to be fair though fiatforum is many times bigger than my other daily forum i use

Hey I'm not angry, just confused. My thread gets viewed by a mod, ok, who goes into the thread. 10 seconds gone. He right clicks on the first 5 images and selects "view image info", fine, they are locally hosted, 25 seconds gone. He clicks through to page two and views two more images. He right clicks them. 5 seconds gone. It's not locally hosted. Close thread. 10 seconds gone.
He comes to PM me, PM's me, 2 minutes gone.
I PM him back with correct links, he adds them to the thread, 3 minutes gone.
He reopens the thread, 10 seconds gone.

Total time: 5 minutes +

What a waste of time. Wouldn't it be easier to tell users to report posts with missing links, moderators can delete them and whole threads if necessary. Moderating a forum isn't about using your power, it's about teaching your users. It's brilliant when you get users reporting everything, your job becomes so much easier. I'll happily report dead links to images.

I struggled in that I am new. I come to this page and, quite honestly, didn't bother reading the rules. I had glanced into other threads and noticed they were hosted in the gallery, so atttempted to do the same for mine. I made an album, uploaded the images, cool. Clicked ok, and got returned to my profile. Could I see my images anywhere? No. It said I had them, space had been used. I finally found a link to click to continue and label my images. Why?! I just want to put them in a thread. Ok, I do it. Finally I get some images. Are their forum friendly codes handy like on image hosting sites? No. I am forced to get the image tags by right clicking and "copy image source", then pasting it into the box.

It's long winded and damn confusing. I doubt it's just me that find this system a little dated. Shove a button at the top saying "Upload images", which gives a pop up box, I select multiple images, they upload in front of me and I get displayed a list of the forum friendly IMG tagged images. Sorted. I'm happy (bar the low quality).

oh, and here for comparison:

THIS WEBSITE:
DSC_3320-W1000.jpg

My image hoster:

DSC-3320-W1000.jpg

Look in particular around the fiat logo on the wheel.

Last edited:
Click the "Camera with Green Arrow" icon at the top of the reply box and it will list all the images in your gallery :)

If you didn't read the rules, then you can't really complain, but I agree things could be explained a bit better. I'll do a step-by-step as a stick at the top of the MM page to help people in the future.

Hey I'm not angry, just confused. My thread gets viewed by a mod, ok, who goes into the thread. 10 seconds gone. He right clicks on the first 5 images and selects "view image info", fine, they are locally hosted, 25 seconds gone. He clicks through to page two and views two more images. He right clicks them. 5 seconds gone. It's not locally hosted. Close thread. 10 seconds gone.
He comes to PM me, PM's me, 2 minutes gone.
I PM him back with correct links, he adds them to the thread, 3 minutes gone.
He reopens the thread, 10 seconds gone.

Total time: 5 minutes +

What a waste of time. wouldnt it be easier to follow the rule you obviously read?Wouldn't it be easier to tell users to report posts with missing links, no,it defeats the point of having the section. many threads span months/years of development and change. its about retaining the threads purpose not power......moderators can delete them and whole threads if necessary. Moderating a forum isn't about using your power, it's about teaching your users. It's brilliant when you get users reporting everything, your job becomes so much easier. I'll happily report dead links to images.and members report offsite hosting,so you can see the members already have been 'taught'

I struggled in that I am new. I come to this page and, quite honestly, didn't bother reading the rules.and who is at fault there? I had glanced into other threads and noticed they were hosted in the gallery, so atttempted to do the same for mine. I made an album, uploaded the images, cool. Clicked ok, and got returned to my profile. Could I see my images anywhere? No. It said I had them, space had been used. I finally found a link to click to continue and label my images. Why?! I just want to put them in a thread. Ok, I do it. Finally I get some images. Are their forum friendly codes handy like on image hosting sites? yes there is,on every pic when you click into them No. I am forced to get the image tags by right clicking and "copy image source", then pasting it into the box.

links.JPG

It's long winded and damn confusing. I doubt it's just me that find this system a little dated. Shove a button at the top saying "Upload images", which gives a pop up box, I select multiple images, they upload in front of me and I get displayed a list of the forum friendly IMG tagged images. Sorted. I'm happy (bar the low quality) you can do that via the attach feature within the thread .

Last edited:
tbh you could just use the little logo in the reply box of the camera after youve uploaded them. and i think the other thing is that you cant forget that mod's arent daleks. they cant go round ruthlessley exterminating old threads all day. they probably have better things to do tbh. and i'm sure they already have there hands full. besides dave maybe :devil:

What!! That's exactly my point! They do that currently???? Closing threads, Pming me to update my links... You think that doesn't take time..!

You're missing the point. I appreciate you doing it, but it's such a waste of your time! Why not wait until the links BECOME dead, THEN close the thread and PM ?

You're missing the point. I appreciate you doing it, but it's such a waste of your time! Why not wait until the links BECOME dead, THEN close the thread and PM ?

and you are missing the point.
a thread with dead links serves nobody
we have had threads in the past that are great reference threads or simply very interesting threads,rendered useless because the links are dead
hence why we require on site hosting
you're welcome to disagree but the rule was brought in for specific reasons and you can disregard them and simply not post in the members motors section
or follow the rules along with everyone else and post with onsite hosting

tbh the only thing that could possibly be changed is maybe making people read the rules the first time they click on MM just like when you first log on. this would help prevent the "time wasting" could that be done ??

tbh the only thing that could possibly be changed is maybe making people read the rules the first time they click on MM just like when you first log on. this would help prevent the "time wasting" could that be done ??

If they can not be bothered to read the rules the first time or the stickies in MM, then i doubt that would have much impact. :(

and you are missing the point.
a thread with dead links serves nobody
we have had threads in the past that are great reference threads or simply very interesting threads,rendered useless because the links are dead
hence why we require on site hosting
you're welcome to disagree but the rule was brought in for specific reasons and you can disregard them and simply not post in the members motors section
or follow the rules along with everyone else and post with onsite hosting

Ok, so say I choose to use your hosting. You still haven't explained why it's so unintuitive. All these tick boxes I have to fill in "yes I allow people to rate the image" "yes I want them to comment", why can't it just upload the image and give me the link??

Na... just appeared for me. That's quite handy. Shame about the quality issues though.

Guess i'll just have to live with it. Can a mod reopen my thread in the members motors, remove the offending images if you desire.

this isnt an idea, its a rant, but thats not saying i dont agree, its a bull **** rule but this is a strict forum , if you do somthing or saying somthing to offended someone you dont even get warned you just get banned for 24 hours like i did, just keep your head down n ignore the dumb **** they have as rules

Back