Technical Front subframe

Currently reading:
Technical Front subframe

Daviedaly

Went to have my alignment looked at after changing both track rod ends.

Turns out that my front subfreame is well on its way out.

Where can i get a new one?

How much am i looking at for parts and labour?

To remove it you must undo the wishbones, Arb droplinks, exhaust downpipe, Exhaust heatshield needs to be lowered, centre engine mount.Then the 8 subframe bolts.

Get a 2nd hand subframe from a scrapyard anywhere between £30-£100 depending on yard. Think Fiat want £400.

Thanks joske.

With v.a.t fiat want almost £600!

Think il ring a few scrappys after work!

If i get the part how much do you think to get it fitted? Just labour?

Is there anything else that i might need?

The one thats on it is crumbling and bent causing heavy wear on the front drivers side tyre. I just replaced the track rod ends and went to kwik fit to get the tracking done and it was the guy in there who spotted it so havent had it looked at properly by a mechanic.

Phoned the scrappy, £50.

Damn sight better than £600!

So how do i go about getting it grit blasted?

Also what sort of paint should i use?

Is it possible that this could be a waste of time if the holes for the bolts and stuff are corroded aswell making them useless?

Thanks very much for the help i need to get this sorted asap as im not feeling entirely cimfortable driving it!

when you say the subframe is on the way out what do you mean, they are fairly substantial parts, is it rusted through? You can do this as a DIY job, just needs few decent tools sockets and spanners, axle stands. Sub frame is held on by about 6 m12 bolts under the firewall, 2 long bolts onto the chassis rails. The steering rack, rear gear box mount, anit roll bar, and wish bones are attached to it. They all unbolt, the only threaded thing on the frame I can remember is the rubber engine mount in the middle which is for the gear box mount.

Oh hang on I'm in the same town as you, G41 area, maybe you'd like to come my way and I'd give some advice if you like.

Its rusted through i didnt have time to look properly as i was in kwik fit!

That would be brilliant i work on duke street at the hovis factory do you know it?

If you guys do this, be sure to make a guide (Y) Save the community even more money and earn alot of respect! haha :p

I dont know how bad it is but the guy in kwik fit said he wasnt comfortable standing under it!

So pretty bad i would guess.

I have a friend who is a mechanic but getting a hold of him is a nightmare but once i do il know more about it.

The guy in kwik fit thinks its done though.

Jimmybob what tools did you use.

I.e socket sizes and stuff dont want to go to this scrappy on saturday without the right tools for the job!

How difficult was it?

Did you get yours second hand and refurb it or was it new?

Did all the bolts go back in ok?

You can get a frame sent to you from this chap, http://www.fccuk.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=48&page=1

but to remove, you needs a socket set, spanners. The bolt holes are just that holes only 2 of them are threded, the others have the thread on the bits you remove for example the wishbones - the bolts go through the frame and into the captive nuts on the wish bones. This picture gives an idea of whats on it
IMG_0196-1.jpg

Cabt see anything on there for subframe. Also its a coupe site? Will the coupe subframe fit a bravo?

Im not saying he recommended an unsuitable part but the link he gave doesnt mention a subframe.

No Davie, the chap who pays to run that bit of the site called coutrycruising breaks coupes, send him a message via the board to get information, he posts and is reliable. The sub frames are all the same coupe tipo tempra, brava bravo, 155, 146 145

Thanks Rich il message him later when i get to the computer.

What do you drive Rich? Do you have a bravo or just experience working with them?

Mine came like in the photo, clean and painted from FL AUTOS.
You will need to support the rear of the engine when you undo the back engine mount.
Lubricate all the bolts for a few days before you start especially the antiroll bar drop link nuts.

Back