Technical air con efficient?

Currently reading:
Technical air con efficient?

cab

Hi all, how can I check how efficient my air con is?

Am I expecting too much, how cold should it be and how can I test it myself?

It does get cold, but I dont think its not cold enough, but I have only had the car a year (56 plate MW 1.9 Diesel multijet 8v)

Any help would be appreciated.

Cliff

I'd check the temp of the aircon cold pipe at the bulkhead with cabin fan off. If it can get down to 4C then it's doing well.
You need to use the recycle switch to stop hot air coming in all the time otherwise your A/C is working overtime cooling new hot air rather than continually reducing the temp of the existing cabin air. After that you need a decent cabin fan airflow so check your cabin filter isn't blocked.

Last edited:
i heard from an air con specailist once that the coolant used in the air con gas has a some kind of oil in it which is supposed to coat the hole inside of the air con system preventing gas from escaping when its not been used? appartently if u use it every 3 months for 10 minutes it should last years ........... incidently, mine needs doing aswell because i have the same problem

It's very rare for air con systems to be completely gas tight. The flexing on engine movement, the large temperature changes from very hot to near freezing, and pressures from 15psi to 200 psi then it's a lot to expect. Oil is largely there to lub the compressor, lub the seals and prevent corrosion

Last edited:
Back