Technical Kangaroo Sporting

Currently reading:
Technical Kangaroo Sporting

M1C4A3L

Hi All

Just recently my car has been being a pain in the arse (Seicento Sporting 1.1 2002)...When I first start my car in the morning, it starts fine...however, when I pull away, it kangaroos so bad! (and no, its not my poor clutch control!) It has power, then none, then power and so on... so I change into second...the same thing.It doesn't seem to do it in third, but I have minimal power. If I slightly touch the pedal, it accelerates slowly, but with no 'kangaroo-ing'. I can drive for about 5 minutes whilst it's warming up, and then it seems to stop and I have optimum power again. I'm really worrying about it because my tappets are so noisy too, and I'm hoping these aren't linked!

The worst thing is when i'm pulling out of the junction in the mornings and it just doesn't want to accelerate properly!

I hope there's an cheap fix to this! Any ideas?

Thanks alot,

Mike

P.s it reminds me of when I used to forget to put the manual choke on when riding my 125 in the mornings!

Last edited:
shouldnt the valve clearanced have been checked in the service? how come there noisey soo soon?

Well, it was "serviced" by the garage I bought it from. I can take an educated guess that they probably didn't check the clearances. When I get the money, I will get it serviced by a different garage. Regarding the noisiness being so soon..you tell me. Its only done about 30k miles (why I bought it)..but I have started a different thread on this subject a couple of weeks ago "Do I own a diesel" I think it was titled lol

Theres an update though on this....I thought I would check the water level this morning before work, and it was below the minimum. I checked the water last Saturday and it was between the minimum and maximum. I can sometimes smell burning when I'm driving...head gasket probably :| How I love buying used cars :(

Sorry to 'raise the dead' but I thought I had better post what the issue was :)

On inspection of my spark plugs, it was clear that they hadn't been changed probably since new! Spark plug number 1 was also coverered in oil! So, we went out and bought a new Rocker cover (valve cover) gasket and 4 new spark plugs (altogether came to £15.85). Replaced them all, and voila, the car runs perfectly! The oil on the spark plug was causing the engine to misfire, which was then leading to the exhaust backfiring. This was giving me this kangaroo-like motion.

So glad it's finally fixed! - something so simple too!

Ridiculous, eh? I was told that it had a 'full service' before I drove it home. In fairness, the air filter looked nice and clean...I wouldn't have doubted them, and didn't think I'd have to take the bloody spark plugs out and check them!

img1114rv.jpg

(taken from http://talkcento.forum-invision.co.uk/t64-replacing-rocker-cover-gasket-and-spark-plugs)

Back