Technical Radio/CD MP3

Currently reading:
Technical Radio/CD MP3

superfer

Hi,
My Croma 1.8 (2007) has a standard radio/CD installed, without MP3 CD capability. My question: is it possible, and easy, to replace it by the model with MP3 capability? How?

Thanks

Superfer

From 2007 Mp3 was standard spec at least that was my understanding, maybe yours is a lower spec 1.8 gasoline so it didn't get mp3. Anyways it is a simple STRAIGHT swap but you need an MP3 unit from another Croma (about 120-150 eur used price of new at italian dealer is 650 eur!!!) and the radio code. If there is no code one can be calculated here on this forum in the ICE section for a small donation.
Your other option from 2007 on is an MP3 cable that plugs in the back of the unit on the CD changer input (blue plug) and an MP3/4 player. Costs about 10 eur on eBay. You can play MP3 but no controls on the steering wheel or radio must use the MP3 to change songs, volume etc.
Better than this for retaining factory look is Xcarlink or Dension units, they read sd cards, you have controls on the steering wheel and radio but expensive (plenty of info on the internet).
Going aftermarket requires a plastic blending/carrier piece, mp3 player some connectors and adapters to retain steering wheel controls from low 200 to high 300 eur total.
Finally the cheapest and cra*iest solution is a 5 euro FM transmiter card reader, the sound is really not that bad but again no direct controls.

I'll try to find the MP3 version on the net, I have allready tryed the FM transmiter option, but the quality is rather bad. Thank you very much notorius!:)

Don't want to be known as tight, but the bit of wire for a few quid looks the best option and I will just twiddle with the MP3 player.

If you see a Croma weaving down the A19, don't worry it's just me trying to change tracks.:D

Only kidding, I actually have the 5 disc player installed in the glovebox.

Can an MP3 input be fitted in addition to the CD-changer? I always assumed an Aux input would be instead of, not aswell as. I can't see how you would select an Aux input from the unit if it did have genuine Aux capability.

There are some a/b switch type interfaces that can be put in to allow both, but you must flip the switch before using one as opposed to the other. Also the mp3 cable does not work from 2005-2006, only on 2007 and newer. That's when they updated the firmware in the factory Blaupunkt unit.

You are a fountain of knowledge, notorious.

I wonder how I get my paws on the Blaupunkt firmware for MP3 compatibility...

You are a fountain of knowledge, notorious.

I wonder how I get my paws on the Blaupunkt firmware for MP3 compatibility...

Well I researched the topic thoroughly when presented with the same no MP3 issue so my knowledge is just a compilation of everything I found out online. I eneded up with a combo 20eur used 10 disc cd changer and a 5eur FM transmiter as the most cost effective but not the best solution.

Only by abducting one of Blaupunkt engineers that worked on it (seriously)... I'm sure it's a trade secret and impossible to get legally.

I'm going to be controversial and say that the average Croma owner is more likely to be listening to Radio 4 than some pumping bass fab groovy MP3 from the hit parade anyway.

Croma = practical, sensible, big, comfy.
Croma != cool, mean, fast, dream car.

I'm not actually that old myself, but Radio 4 is fine by me.

I'm going to be controversial and say that the average Croma owner is more likely to be listening to Radio 4 than some pumping bass fab groovy MP3 from the hit parade anyway.

Croma = practical, sensible, big, comfy.
Croma != cool, mean, fast, dream car.

I'm not actually that old myself, but Radio 4 is fine by me.

You speak for your self old boy.

When I pumps up da volume on mi Puccini it's well wicked init?

Last edited:
To dig up an old thread... I've decided to get "with it" and want to play some songs from the hit parade. I'm getting an MP3 player for christmas.

I've got the OEM changer connected. I know I could leave the changer connected and break into the L, R and GND wires, but then it would always be spinning and displaying duff track info, plus I don't want to mess with the original wiring.

My plan is to buy a blue plug with 3.5mm plug connected on ebay and plug this in, but I've read in lots of places that this won't work with OEM units, as it needs to detect a changer to allow the input to work.

This is a Japanese web page that says to connect Data In directly to Data Out - apparently this will make it think something's connected.

http://www014.upp.so-net.ne.jp/harima60/blau2.html

In a discussion on alfa forum about this tactic some said it worked, one said it didn't. It's possible it was just a duff connection, as people were just using a length of cable stuffed in, as there are no terminals in these positions on the standard ebay cable.

On the other hand, if I broke into the changer's cable then I could use a panel-mounting socket that has make/break contacts. Then the changer would work as normal if the MP3 player wasn't connected. Actually that sounds like a pretty good idea. Hmmm.

Has anyone successfully connected an MP3 player to the CD changer connector on a Croma?

Back