Technical Engine management light / Warning on startup

Currently reading:
Technical Engine management light / Warning on startup

kaosNW

Hi I have a 1.4 16v GP 58 plate

For a few weeks now every so often when I start the car from cold the engine light would come on and the car would seem really loud/shaky. But turning the engine off/on sorted it

This morning I started the car (hasnt been driven in about 3 days) and the car is really shaky (is this misfiring?) and loud and the engine light starts to flash, and the check engine warning is displayed

When I revved the car it made the engine light stay static:( I have tryed turning it on/off loads of times and it wont stop!

any ideas on what it could be? im about to go check the sparks

Just tried to check the sparks, got the airbox/cover off and the spark plugs seem to be molded together in a rigid plastic casing. Anyone have any idea how to take them out 1 by 1 to test?

The guide on here doesnt have the same spark plug covering?!

Just tried to check the sparks, got the airbox/cover off and the spark plugs seem to be molded together in a rigid plastic casing. Anyone have any idea how to take them out 1 by 1 to test?

The guide on here doesnt have the same spark plug covering?!

If you mean there is a coil pack on top of the spark plug then just pull it up. It will be a coil pack if there is an electrical connection that goes in the top with a yellow sort of pin as well. Pull the pin backwards slightly (genlty as well) and then u should be able to remove the electrical connection.

Then pull the coil pack upwards and it should come off, might need a bit of force as there is usually a seal due to the rubber protecting the spark plug from water.

Just an update, I managed to get the AA to come out and by the time he got to me the car wasnt shaking/misfiring any more but the engine light was still on. He connected it to his diagnostic computer and it said that there was a misfire on cylinder 4

He said its likely to be the coil pack on the 4th cylinder as the sparks shouldnt have gone so quick and apparently its quite common for a coil pack to go?!?

He reset the error code and the car seemed to be fine, no error/misfire etc. However this week after not driving the car for 3-4 days I started it the other day and the misfire/shaking was back! so I think its linked to the car not being driven

Just wondering if people think that the coil pack seems like the likely culprit? if so is it easy to fix? and any ideas on price?

Thanks!

It's not that common for coil packs to go. The easiest way to diagnose it is to swap the coil from the affected cylinder to another one and see if the fault now jumps with the coil. If it stays on cylinder 4, then the coil is ok.

Thanks mate, the thing is after I rev it for abit the engine light goes out and the car seems to run ok, so the misfire is gone! so changing the packs over wont really help :(

Also it seems it was low on oil..... could this be a side effect of the misfire? or a sign of something more serious? :S

Back