Technical I knew it was too good to be true

Currently reading:
Technical I knew it was too good to be true

Re: I knew it was too god to be true

Have you reversed over a paraffin stove?

Or is it just that the DPF was regenerating when you stopped?

I hope it's not as serious as it sounds. Good luck, let us know the outcome.

It could also be the regulator bridge on the alternator, if it is car will still go but will seize soon as it's working @ half power will burn out the diodes. Happened to a guy here in Serbia last week mentioned similar smell. I suggest you check the voltage in operation right away if below standard 13.9V don't drive any more as the repair will be less although in britain they don't seem to fix the alternator just replace the whole unit (which is expensive and wasteful). Here fixing them is the norm and there are parts available.

The alternator was new last year.

Where it is situated, it's quite low down, so could get splashes of water now and then. There's always the possibility it was made faulty.

Do you have a multimeter? It's very easy to check, just from the battery terminals.

We'll know more next week. It is booked in for Wednesday. Will keep you posted.

I was thinking if it did go up in a ball of flame I could go and treat myself, but then I thought I would only get 2p short of f*ck all form the insurance co., so maybe not.:(

I don't think you could call this forum "fanatical". It's not every car forum where someone wishes their car would catch fire.

I like it here.

Stopped at work after a short high speed trip from lunch and there was a terrible smell. Wife has had plumes of smoke/steam. The car hasn't turned into a fireball so I can only assume it was a DPF regen.

Stopped at work after a short high speed trip from lunch and there was a terrible smell. Wife has had plumes of smoke/steam.

What about the car? :D

DPF Regen will cause white / grey smoke to be emitted from the exhaust, along with an unpleasant smell. Diesel burning in the exhaust can give a smell not unlike kerosene. The heat generated by the DPF during regen causes it to give off a smell similar to a 'fried clutch'.

HTH.

Well folks here it is. The kerosene type smell is definitely from the particulate filter regenerating - so nothing untoward.

"But why the smell and the white smoke all of a sudden?" I hear you ask; and ask I did.

"Well sir," came the reply "there is a flexible joint on the exhaust which has deteriorated and is leaking slightly". So not too bad then?

However, by the medium of virtual ESP I can hear you thinking. You are thinking that this is a FIAT, there has to be a 'but' somewhere; where is the 'but'?

Keep looking.....

No it's not here.

Here it is:

BUT, the flexible joint in question is an integral part of the catalytic converter. Yes, that's right. The cat is working fine, but 20 quid's worth of flexible joint has rendered it useless.

Let's just recap here for you: FIAT take a flexible (and by its very nature vulnerable to wear) joint and instead of attaching it to £30 worth of pipe, they make it a part of an £860 catalytic converter. F******g brilliant!!

What with that, one spring and an annual service we are talking £1100. I can buy a whole f******g car from a chap in Bristol for £1400.

Needless to say I am seeking a second opinion; and failing any further joy starting a trawl of the used car dealerships (because unless the DPF is regenerating no one is the wiser). This is the final straw.

Last edited:

pretty sure if its the 1.9 then u can use parts off a vectera/signum....could be wrrong about the exhaust side, but it does seem a few bits on the croma can be swapped

Think cainy1989 might have a point about the Vectra bits. If this happens to my car I think I will head down to the local kwik-fit to see if they have a suitable flexi joint, then remove the exhaust from my car, then cut off the old flexi and put the new one on.

However, if I didn't have those options, that's got to be a sickener and I would feel the same way as you. There have been times with my car when I would have p/x'd it if there was something better out there, but for me there's not. If you've really had enough then fair play, life's too short to let things like cars ruin your happiness...

Damn, Dave stole my thunder :D

There's some good stuff on that Jetex site - handy to know about (y)

Back