Technical Knocking noise louder when corning over bumps

Currently reading:
Technical Knocking noise louder when corning over bumps

allandoc

I get a knocking noise when I go over a bump but gets louder if I hit a bump when cornering. Its is only a knock usually and not a CV knocking noise. Also when I am going round a roundabout the car kind of swerves a slight bit to the right. I have had two new wishbones fitted and has helped the problem slightly. Does anyone have an idea if it will be a drop link or the strut mounting bush? Any ideas are welcome. Its driving me crazy.

I had the same sort of knock every time I went round a corner and hit a bump and it stopped once I had changed the wishbones and the drop links, one other thing to check is the subframe to chassis leg bolt. If it's loose it will eventually fall out as it's upside down! I know this as it happened on the way into work this morning :mad:

Hope this helps

Lee

Thanks for the replys. I went out and bought a new drop link today. I could get the old one off but I couldnt get new one one. Is there a certain way to do this? I got two new wishbone fitted 2 weeks ago and thought this would solve the problem but didn't. I also notice that the track rod end rubber is split. Could this be source of noise? Are they easy to fit ot do I risk snapping things? Also I drove it a short distance without the drop links and the noise was still there!! Aaargh.

Not yet. I am going to replace the track rod arms as the rubbers are cracked. Iam hoping this will solve the prob. I will update you when I get the chance to change them.

What type of car is it? It could also be the shock absorber pressure bearing (hope that's how it's called). That's mounted on the top of the shock absorber, and let's the shock absorber turn when you're cornering.

Hi. Its a Fiat Bravo 1.6 1997 model. How do you test if it is that bearing?

You could put the front of the car on axle stands, take off the wheel and jolt the top part of the shock absorber a bit, to see if it has any play (this will work if it has a lot of play) or a bit complicated, take of the direction track rod and move the assembly from left to right, to see if you spot any play.

hey there! i also had this problem it may not be the result in all cases but i replaced my hub carrier-to strut bolts and that cured it they wear quite badly after a while! :)

Hi Mikey. Thanks for the advice. When I took my car to the garage several months back he mentioned the bolt was loose and he tightened it. THe noise died down but came back a month later so the bolts could be knacked. Do you know the sizes of the bolt?

Back