General Buying advice for a Croma

Currently reading:
General Buying advice for a Croma

Re: Buying a Croma in the morning

What should you look / check for when viewing and test driving?
• service history
• condition – bodywork, interior, engine bay, kerbed wheels?
• mileage
• close all windows, turn off radio / CD and fan, drive on a rough road, listen for suspicious noise and feel for a supple ride
• no black smoke from the exhaust when accelerating strongly from low speed
• pickup is smooth at light throttle
• all inside and outside door handles work OK
• check that the hatch / tailgate / boot lock and release works OK using both the (micro)switch / handle on the hatch and the key fob
• no messages on the dash LCD
• no dashboard warning lights
• all windows work
• glove box lid opens and closes OK
• all recalls and software updates have been done
• there are 2 key fobs with the car

For Diesel cars (vast majority) also check service history: ensure cam belt changed at 5 years or 60,000 miles and that water pump and tensioner changed at the same time. If no record, factor in £300 to have it done.

Check also if the alternator has been replaced recently. If it has been on the car for over three years there is every likelihood that it will fail soon. Factor in another £250 (the alternator alone is £200).

If the car is sluggish in pulling away but picks up at above 2,000 rpm (a bit like turbo lag) it is likely the EGR valve is sticking. 10 minute job to replace but valves are around £120. The other possibility is a split in the turbo hose (very small beer).

The auto box is virtually indestructible, but the manuals have been known to turn to papermache at high miles. New box is £1500 but they can be rebuilt for less than half that.

If you can get the car in the air, or the wheels off. Check for broken springs and excessive play in the CV joints at the gearbox. A spring will cost around £160 to replace at a dealer. CV joints considerably more.

Now that wife has returned to her second Croma, this one being one of the last. 2 other concerns not listed.

Drive shaft Rumble which equals vibration in steering colum.
EGR valves same as GM, 50 notes cover it.

I want to amend my last reply. In answer to the question 'When buying a Croma what should you look for?'

I would answer an effin Audi. At least they fleece you up front. :)

Last edited:

I want to amend my last reply. In answer to the question 'When buying a Croma what should you look for?'

I would answer an effin Audi. At least they fleece you up front. :)

I would not be so sure about that. The typical hourly labour rate for an Audi Dealer is twice that of a Fiat one!
Yes, I used to own an Audi.

I am as follow up for my Lancia Lybra, very happy with my Croma JTD 1.9 multijet from 2008. But I am looking for one of the lest build, a 2011 JTD!? Have the last build daylight running lights?

Back