General Clutch!!!!

Currently reading:
General Clutch!!!!

For a while now my car has been making a funny noise when in gear most notciable in reverse when moving slowly, over the weekend the car would judder heavily in 1st and reverse when setting of ,then this morning the clutch started slipping in 4th, it now slips in 3rd 4th and 5th when booting it. 1st and second seem ok,

has the clutch gone/going, only had it replaced about a year ago ,

could the noise be a release bearing, its a whining type noise but low in pitch

any help much appriciated

JTG

i'd Say clutch as once it starts to slip its going

HOWEVER!
There could be the bad news of the Gearbox Oil seal is leaking and its now all over the clutch

Eitherway the Car has to go on ramp to have a look
If Seal is leaking its a new Clutch as well as either a new box or a new seal

Ziggy

Generally on a Punto a the clutch will drag before it slips so a slipping clutch often means an oil leak.

Dont let it rev while the clutch slips as the flywheel will get overheated and might even warp or crack and at the least can get scored.

Quite probably its the gearbox input shaft bearing and oil seal which will need a gearbox repair to fix it. Its probably better to get a service reconditioned box as other stuff will be packing up.

Generally on a Punto a the clutch will drag before it slips so a slipping clutch often means an oil leak.

Dont let it rev while the clutch slips as the flywheel will get overheated and might even warp or crack and at the least can get scored.

Quite probably its the gearbox input shaft bearing and oil seal which will need a gearbox repair to fix it. Its probably better to get a service reconditioned box as other stuff will be packing up.

its Hit and miss with 2nd hand boxes

I'll admit - i'm on my 4th Box
1st Box (original to me) - Diff Exploded spectacularly
2nd Box - Input Bearing had Failed (didnt know about this fault till box was in and had been for a month) As a result the Gears were not meshed properly (too loose) and decided to eat each other till one day - there was no more power input
3rd Box - 3rd Syncro and Yet again Diff Exploded / Died (lots clunking)
4th Box - lasted longest, but getting noisey!!! but still feels fine

So its one of those things
Atleast with a Recon Box - there is a warrenty, and they are serviced and checked over
Probably my next step if i need a new Box

I found my clutch was just slipping, didnt get any drag with it, just one day the revs started popping up

Ziggy

Last edited:
The diff is right down the bottom of the box could be it eats bits from other broken parts and then explodes next time you take a tight bend.

Better with a properly rebuilt gearbox and warranty and probably cheaper in the long run.

The diff is right down the bottom of the box could be it eats bits from other broken parts and then explodes next time you take a tight bend.

Better with a properly rebuilt gearbox and warranty and probably cheaper in the long run.

Defo - just an example of how much it cost me

2nd box £50 + £160 fitting = £210
3rd Box £200 + £160 Fitting = £360
4th Box replaced under 3month warrenty + £100 fitting = £100

Total = £210 + 360 + 100 = 670

Where as a Recon is 300ish

Ziggy

I had the diff explode on an old MG Metro taking a left turn in a side street. The car stopped with a trail of oil and the bang was so loud people came out of their houses to see who was shooting.

I had the diff explode on an old MG Metro taking a left turn in a side street. The car stopped with a trail of oil and the bang was so loud people came out of their houses to see who was shooting.

Luckily i was just pulling back home - i have to turn left to park where i park - the car pulled Really badly to the right - Loud Bang - Car Stalled - Smell of fish as G.box oil pea'd out

Ziggy

last night on the way to work it was fine, no slipping when booted, however when on the way back it was slipping loads

Ideas?

Oil has been rubbed off - but as you got the gearbox hot again its leaked
So while you were at work it dribbled till it was cool - you drove home with an Oil Soaked Clutch again

Get it to the garage
As Oil + Heat + Friction is asking for a really bad smell / smoke
If it seriously hot and might catch fire :(

Plus the heat will be warping your flywheel

Ziggy

It needs a gearbox rebuild and a new clutch. Continue driving and the gearbox wont be accepted for rebuild (too much damage) and the flywheel will burn out. Doing nothing can be very expensive.

on motoway today it jumped out of 5th and went into neutral, it went back easily enough and hasnt done it since, is this clutch related,

also had the car in the air last night very loud ratterling noise like something is loose around the clutch area(release bearing ?)

any ideas ?

JTG

on motoway today it jumped out of 5th and went into neutral, it went back easily enough and hasnt done it since, is this clutch related,

also had the car in the air last night very loud ratterling noise like something is loose around the clutch area(release bearing ?)

any ideas ?

JTG

If its ratteling - the damage is done
it jumping out of gear IS NOT a good sign
Going back in easily is not a good sign either - unless you got the syncro speeds right it popped in - its hard and unlikely - i'd be very careful!

Gearbox could be dry and now metal bits are floating around
The Clutch could have overheated due to the oil burning off - Damaging the release bearings the Shaft - warped the Flywheel

Strip down - replace parts and see if you cure it!!

But all these sound like a combination of the clutch and gearbox - which we did warn you about

Ziggy

It needs a gearbox rebuild and a new clutch. Continue driving and the gearbox wont be accepted for rebuild (too much damage) and the flywheel will burn out.
Doing nothing can be very expensive.

The box has failed and its chucking oil on the clutch.

Keep on going and you'll need a NEW gearbox as it will be beyond rebuilding.

Back