General dpf

Currently reading:
General dpf

the garage is stii checking my car but they think it might be the dpf,the whole exhaust system was choked up,they blanked off the erg valve but dont work weekends so thats as far as they have got,i dont fancy forking out £1100 but not sure about that cheaper one,my car is only going to be on the road(taxi)another year,any advice ?

Hi.
The lad next door to me has an 08 Astra he uses for taxi-ing it has 70,000 miles on the clock. He is very light footed and in the last 3 months it's cost him a fortune, New inlet manifold, full exhaust as it was choked up, EGR valve, water pump, alternator and service, over £2400. its a 1.9 CDTI estate.
So who is saying that Diesels are cheap to run???

my car is regulary serviced,i got it back today,the garage stripped and cleaned the dpf/exhaust and it is going ok apart from the engine management light failing to go off,was also told if it clogs up again it might be time for a new dpf,i asked the mechanic if he knew about that website offering a dpf for £348 but he hadn,t heard of it either

Out of curiosity. That website says regen occurs when you go on a motorway run so the exhaust gets hot - but surely driving at speed would actively cool the exhaust down - in much the same way as the fans on the radiator rarely come into play at speed as the airflow is more than adequate?
Alternatively, sitting in a long queue of traffic and the fans are almost constantly running to try to keep the engine cool. (so would the same not apply to the exhaust?)

Last edited:
We are just having to install dpfs on our machines, different application to cars but a regen is expected to take 15-25mins and is needed every 8-15hrs.

The regen is planned by the calculated soot load in the ecu or the pressure drop across the dpf. you may find after the next regen the light will go off as at the moment it still thinks there is soot in the dpf.

The service life of our dpf is listed as 3000hrs.

Sludge, the exhaust gases will be too cool if the engine isnt working. The timing of the fuel is altered and extra injections added to put fuel into the exhaust which then burns in the dpf.

alot of models also put extra load on the engine by putting air con on or heated screen etc thus increasing work rate, the ulysse done this.

Back