Technical Poor acceleration - Not EGR valve!?

Currently reading:
Technical Poor acceleration - Not EGR valve!?

VinylHogger

Hi guys,

I have a 2007 1.9 Sporting with 60,000 miles on the clock. I had a 4th year extended warranty which has now expired.

I left it in to the dealer before the warranty expired to get them to have a look at the gearbox as it was making an unusual noise in 2nd gear. Long story short, they didn't look at it in the end as it would have cost me almost £500 in labour charges if it wasn't covered under extended warranty. Didn't take the risk!

When driving home from the dealer, I noticed that the acceleration was really poor until I get to about 2,500 revs. THIS NEVER EVER HAPPENED BEFORE. Is this sheer coincidence that this happened on the way home from the dealer who insist they never even looked at the car (even though they had it for 5 hours)?

After looking on these forums, it seemed as if the EGR valve needed cleaning. I have had this cleaned today and got it back this afternoon. Absolutely no difference at all!

What the hell could it be? If the EGR needed replaced shouldn't the engine management light come on?

Really stuck with this one! It's a real nuisance and pretty dangerous when trying to negotiate roundabouts etc.

Cleaning the EGR can sometimes be unsuccessful, the electric side is often missed & can be a cause for your problem.
I had mine replaced for EXACTLY those symptoms & all was good. My EML didnt come on until I'd had the problem for a few weeks....
Blocking the EGR off temporarily will help with a diagnosis... if all power returns it will be the EGR, if no change it may be the MAF sensor.

Last edited:
when my EGR went the EML didnt come on for a while. buy an EGR blanking plate and fit it... if the problem goes away you know its the EGR. if not then like foxy said its probs your MAF sensor!

Thanks fellahs that is much appreciated. I left it in my local trusted garage and they guy said there was a lot of soot and crap built-up which he cleaned out. He only charged me £20 so far but ultimately it has made no difference at all sadly.

Is it possible to get a replacement EGR valve from a scrap yard? Do I need one specifically for the 1.9 multijet or are there others that would fit?

What would you do if you were in my shoes?!

Thanks again :)

Thanks fellahs that is much appreciated. I left it in my local trusted garage and they guy said there was a lot of soot and crap built-up which he cleaned out. He only charged me £20 so far but ultimately it has made no difference at all sadly.

Is it possible to get a replacement EGR valve from a scrap yard? Do I need one specifically for the 1.9 multijet or are there others that would fit?

What would you do if you were in my shoes?!

Thanks again :)

You wont know if you're getting a good un or a bad un from a scrappies... Fit a new one with a swirl gasket... or block it off completely if you feel that to be the right thing to do.

I had a new EGR & the car was transformed.

i would get yourself a blanking plate and get it fitted (2minute job that a mechanic would do cheap if you dont know how to fit it) heres a link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EGR-blanking-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c189265f5 they delivered mine the next day when i ordered one.

doing this will tell you if it is definitely the egr valve coz it could still be something else like the MAF. dont wanna go spending upwards of £160 for nothing! hope this helps

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
i would get yourself a blanking plate and get it fitted (2minute job that a mechanic would do cheap if you dont know how to fit it) heres a link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EGR-blanking-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c189265f5 they delivered mine the next day when i ordered one.

doing this will tell you if it is definitely the egr valve coz it could still be something else like the MAF. dont wanna go spending upwards of £160 for nothing! hope this helps

That's excellent thanks very much for that. I've ordered the blanking plate and will give it a whirl! Thanks for all your help so far guys. :worship:

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Anyone got instructions for fitting the EGR blanking plate? It arrived this morning and I have yet to find instructions having searched the forum and Google so far!

Thanks

When I had my clutch done,the garage didn't properly tighten up the turbo air intake pipe,consequently it came off after 30 mins and had to go back in to be done properly.
Two days later after not very many miles I had the most awful whistling noise coming from the engine bay,back in the garage,it was diagnosed as having a defective turbo air intake pipe, the very same one they had done two days previously.they showed me the pipe, it had a perfect V shaped nick in it,as if it had been done by a stanley knife, the cut was that perfect in an otherwise perfect pipe.
Co-incidence, I didn't think so but couldn't prove otherwise, I was so suspicious and disgruntled with the garage (main fiat dealer) I sold the car as all trust in the garage had gone.
That was just one of many things that has happened by that garage which prompted me to change manufacturer.

OK, I;ve managed to fit the blanking plate and the car is running perfectly now! Only slight drawback is I stupiidly dropped one of the bolts into the engine bay and will probably never see it again. I also dropped the 2 metal seals which I'll never see again.

Is this a permanent solution or will I need to buy a replacement EGR valve?

Any idea where I can get a replacement bolt for the one I dropped? It's the gold coloured one that requires a 6mm hex.

Thanks!

hi, i lost one of my bolts also doing the egr, i got a normal bolt & washer by unscrewing one of them and taking to a local diy store, just check a nut fits both & your sorted, cost me 60p, had to hacksaw about 10mm off end

hi, i lost one of my bolts also doing the egr, i got a normal bolt & washer by unscrewing one of them and taking to a local diy store, just check a nut fits both & your sorted, cost me 60p, had to hacksaw about 10mm off end

OK, I'll stop by B & Q tomorrow and see if I can find a suitable replacement. I tried to be careful and not drop anything but made a total balls of it really :(

At least I can accelerate properly again. For now!

:D

least you know what the problem is now mate its such a relief aint it? glad i could help (y) if your wondering if its a permanent solution then there are mixed views... the side effects of it are increased emissions and a slightly higher engine temperature although it is very unlikrly to be enough of a difference to affect anything! if your a tree hugger and care for the environment, it may be worth getting a new EGR valve. Apparently keeping it blocked off actually increases power and MPG. im undecided as to whether im gonna keep mine blanked or not yet...

Back