General 1992 Ducato 1.9 diesel, 100,000 miles

Currently reading:
General 1992 Ducato 1.9 diesel, 100,000 miles

Ruby2sdays

I'm wondering what kind of problems crop up with these engines at this age and whether it's a good idea for me to buy a camper with this engine if I have no mechanical/engine knowlege?
Thanks
Susie

I don't think it's lubrication problem .I think it's people staying in 5th too long this puts to much torque on gear causing it to disintergrate

Overall the 1.9D is a tried and tested design, the engine is robust and reliable make sure the gears are not grinding as this means the synchro rings are worn and this will cost a fortune to sort out

Fiat have stopped stocking some of the parts for the old models something to bear in mind in your search.

I don't think it's lubrication problem .I think it's people staying in 5th too long this puts to much torque on gear causing it to disintergrate

5th gear was added onto the outside of a 4 speed box. The original oil fill apparently wasn't sufficient to ensure lubrication in the external housing. There was also some modification in 1994 to improve lubrication of 5th and the bearings were uprated in 1993. So yes there was a lubrication issue and the earlier boxes are weaker.

My gearboxes are all year 2001 ,fiat added a plastic tray in main body to catch the oil throw off ,it directs oil to the 5th gear camber and down the main center of main shaft. It works great

PS I also keep my gearbox covered with plastic sheet ,as I cannot stop water from dripping from window screen drain I don't want the gearbox oil contaminated

Back to original question my VW transporter 1986 had a straight 4 in line diesel the same as the ducato 1.9D and it did 250,000 and was still going strong when I sold it , the old design engines really worked although not good for the environment

PS I also keep my gearbox covered with plastic sheet ,as I cannot stop water from dripping from window screen drain I don't want the gearbox oil contaminated

I extended my drain hose with a short length of rigid plastic pipe (plumbing drainage piping is ideal) so the discharge was beyond the gearbox.

Back