Other engine sizes have a different electronic set up.

I suspect that there will be many 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 Stilos going around with the low speed radiator fan completely inoperative. It’s very quiet on low speed so most of the time you don’t notice it’s going and if the temp goes too high then the hi speed full power setting for the fan switches on

I think my fan slow speed setting has been off for a while and I just noticed the hi speed fan setting coming on a bit more than I would expect, certainly nothing noticably different with dash temp gauge needle as it's only a few degrees from slow speed to hi speed switching on so it’s not much to notice. Of course, do the easy stuff and check your fuses first

I believe with FiatEcuScan you can test the two speeds by turning on their relays so that’s useful

new resistor 1.JPG

The fan slow speed is achieved by the car putting this 1ohm resistor in the circuit to the fan motor. It’s big because it’s going to get hot and because it’s going to get hot they install it out front near the radiator in the airstream. There a two relays T6 and T7 which switch on the rad fan slow or fast speed setting

OK so I think the fan slow speed isn’t working and I want to check the resistor.

resistor in situ.JPG
It’s a pain to get access to the connectors and I can’t pull off the connectors with the restricted space so I look for an easier way to test the resistor from the wiring diagram

rad fan circuit 1 for 1.2 1.4 1.6 res check.JPG
I can check for the 1ohm resistance at the engine bay fusepanel by checking across both the pin 87 on relay positions T6 and T7. Crafty eh!

fuse box relays T6 & T7 labels.JPG
I remove relays T6 and T7 by levering them up with a screwdriver (these are the low and high speed fan relays) and I can now check for the resistance across their pins 87 connections in the fuse panel. It should of course be around 1ohm

rad fan relay.JPG
( Pin 87 is identified by the bottom of the relay).

Results are in and there's no circuit at all so that means the resistor is broken (or possibly some kind of an open circuit in the wiring but I think it’s the resistor). Now we are more certain what is at fault. Time to buy a new one

new resistor 1.JPG

New resistor- very expensive at £45. Holy mother!

top screw.JPG

The screws are difficult to get onto if you have aircon pipes in the way like I have here and a right angled driver like this is required. Have to go from underneath for the bottom screw

removing 1.JPG
Then lever back the plastic clips to release it and the resistor is out. I left the wires attached as it would be easier to remove them now.

old one.JPG
We can see the problem of a broken resistance wire.

Reassembly is straightforward, attach the wires first and make sure they are pushed right in to connect fully and properly clipped in

Ok so now I have rad fan slow speed setting and that will help with aircon as that system needs it too

Time taken 30mins