Technical Throttle by wire or multiair problem?

Currently reading:
Technical Throttle by wire or multiair problem?

georgevo135

Hi mates!I am greek learning the language, so sorry for any mistakes..I've got a punto evo 135hp since April..Last month i've noticed something weird that i don't know if it's a problem or not..This last month we had cold weather(-3 to 5oC).I tried to start the car in the traffic light, i pressed the gas pedal while releasing the clutch, but the revs didn't increased. I released the gas pedal,then pushed it again and everything was normal.That thing happened to me 5-6 times.Almost all these times the engine was cold.The last time that this happened, i pushed the gas pedal a bit in order to start, the revs didn't increased and then i pushed it more. Nothing changed.I was "fully" pushing the gas pedal and the revs wasn't increasing.It was like i was doing nothing.There was no response.Again i released the pedal then pushed it and the "problem" was solved.I don't know if this is a problem.I think that it may happen because multiair that time didn't change the "profile" of the camshaft.Maybe there is something wrong with the throttle by wire.I hope that someone else had this experience and could help me.

If its a cold day, after a cold start mine is very unwilling to rev and accelerate away immediately after starting. Very sluggish.

If I let it idle for a minute or so its fine. I was wondering if its some sort of protection for the turbo - it's like there is no boost available for a few moments. Maybe to give the oil time to circulate first?? :confused:.

I'm not saying I hammer the accellerator straight away:devil:, its just if I pull away immediately and "briskly accellerate" to 30, it doesn't feel that responsive !

Apart from that it's fine. Reminds me of the days of manual choke and you had to nurse the engine a bit until it warmed up!

If its a cold day, after a cold start mine is very unwilling to rev and accelerate away immediately after starting. Very sluggish.

If I let it idle for a minute or so its fine. I was wondering if its some sort of protection for the turbo - it's like there is no boost available for a few moments. Maybe to give the oil time to circulate first?? :confused:.

I'm not saying I hammer the accellerator straight away:devil:, its just if I pull away immediately and "briskly accellerate" to 30, it doesn't feel that responsive !

Apart from that it's fine. Reminds me of the days of manual choke and you had to nurse the engine a bit until it warmed up!

Mine does that too. I my theory is that the ECU limits the power for the first minute or so to prevent excessive wear on the engine. Just like the restricted power for the first 1000 miles.

Mine is not reving at all.I have to release the pedal and push it again to rev.

Hello everybody,

I'm from Portugal and I have a 105 HP 4.1 EVO since 2010, two days ago the block Multiair broke down with the same symptoms that you guys describe here! They asked me € 900 for the repair when I had complained about the situation when it was still under warranty. It seems to be a problem with these engines, perhaps manufacturing defect. I'll try to get in touch with Fiat in Italy for details because it is inadmissible, even my car has 50000 km!

Hello,
ive got the 135HP Mulriair Punto Evo... and I am fighting with the same Problems since 2011.. 2 weeks after the gurantee ended.
The Cardealer searched for the problem and after 2-3days he tried to make me belive the engine is damaged.. . The declarations have also made no sense why I did not want a change of engine (I should Pay 3500€ because Fiat want only Pay 65%).
I think Fiat kdon´t nows how to solve the problem..

When its Summer I dont have the Problems. Is it colder +10/-XX and moist I got the problems..

Your contributions are longer ago.
Maybe you have found a solution?

Dear greetings from Germany
and excused my bad English
Julian K

Mine still has these problems. Whenever i take it to the garage they fix it but it only lasts for a few months and then returns.

I am pretty sure the problem is with the sparkplugs. Possibly oil contamination on one plug which causes a weak spark in 1 cylinder. Now that the car is almost out of warrenty i can have a look myself. infact, i would happily sacrifice my warrenty to fix the problem as Arnold clark fiat are useless.

Hey, cool that you answered.
Yeah our problem startet after the first "inspection" they changed oil and the sparkplugs?! and then ive got the problems.
Now i had to change oil and sparkplugs again because i drive only short ranges. I hope this will solve the problem...

greets =)

Back