Technical my punto starts then suddenly dies

Currently reading:
Technical my punto starts then suddenly dies

klosr

Hello
I am new around here , got a fiat punto 1.9 jtd year 2001 here's my problem :
i start the car everthing works fine sometimes 2-3 sec or 1 min then it suddenly dies , when i try to accelerate it also dies. I put the ignition on i can't hear the intank fuel pump, try to turn it on engine wont start for a few minutes.
What i think is weird is that when the engine dies if i press the unlock button from the remote alarm i hear the alarm relay 2-3 times from somewhere under the steering wheel, then the car starts without problem then dies again after a few sec or a minute .
Does anyone knows how to disconnect the car alarm i think it's factory build
Thank You !
PS : car alarm sound is not workin' for a while, same as the lights when i lock or unlock it .
sorry for my bad english :)

It's called inertia fuel shut off switch
Thankyou

Hi klosr,

Welcome to the forum.

The inertia fuel cut off is just that - in the event of a collision, the inertia causes it to cut the fuel supply off. If the diesel is same setup as petrol, the cut off switch is on the floor at the passenger side and is manual reset (push the rubber button). So, it is unlikely that this is your problem (you say you can start the engine and it runs briefly). More likely is a problem with your fuel pump or fuel filter. When ignition first on, fuel pressure is primed. You start the engine and if the pump can't keep up (could be due to blocked fuel filter), the engine will be starved of fuel.

red

Ok thanks problem solved fuel filter hasn't been changed for a long time.
Works fine now
Thankyou

I had a friend who lived in a small village with one diesel fuel pump. He had to change his diesel fuel the filter every 6,000 miles or his car would stop before its next service. Town service stations are (usually) no problem because their fuel is sold more quickly.

Back