Technical Uniroyal Rainsport 2s

Currently reading:
Technical Uniroyal Rainsport 2s

AdamP1991

Has anyone used them on a 500? What did you think?

I had them on the front of a car for a short period of time a couple of years ago and they felt pretty good (especially in the wet surprisingly enough). A friend has just put them on his MX5 and recons that they're very good and have a slightly softer sidewall for a better ride.

Just coming to the end of the second set of continentals and looking to try something different (and cheaper).

toyo t1r off ebay great in the wet and good price

Cheers, but looking for opinions on the Rainsport 2s. I know what T1Rs are like ;)

EDIT: That sounds a tad patronising. I've had experience with the T1R but not much with the rainsport 2s, hence i'm looking for people who have used them specifically.

Last edited:
Some people on the Panda forum (100hp owners) seem to rate them. Personally I don't think I've ever seen a review where they actually test that well compared to the competition. They do well in the wet, but there always seems to be something better.

My Bridgestone RE050A's seem really good. They do lose traction in the wet and cold (so basically in autumn!) at low speeds easily but I've never had a problem with them in terms of cornering grip in the wet. They were absolutely supreme in some absolutely abysmal conditions on the motorway in France and I was very surprised at how well they resist aquaplaning.

Call me a snob but I just won't put anything on my car that isn't a Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Continental, Dunlop or Yokohama.

The only experiences I've ever had of middle or lower tier tyres is that they've been compromised in one way or another.

or the old adage "you are paying extra for the label"

Amen.

Khumo, Toyo, Uniroyal, Vredstein and Avon all make extremely competitive tyres at good prices.

Anyone actually had any experiences?

or the old adage "you are paying extra for the label"

My experience

Cheng Shin - Terrible in the wet, rock hard.
Tigar - Terrible in the wet and the dry. Had completely unexpected terminal understeer on these at a surprisingly low speed
Falken - Wore really quickly, both tyres got punctures (could have just been conincidence and in terms of grip they were never anything special.
Pneumant - Must have been made in the same factory as the Cheng Shin's and Tigar's!

You've excuse me if I go and pay a few extra pounds and get tyres from one of the companies I mentioned in my original post ;)

Sorry for the slight derail adam, like I said, the 100hp guys seem to rate them :)

My experience

Cheng Shin - Terrible in the wet, rock hard.
Tigar - Terrible in the wet and the dry. Had completely unexpected terminal understeer on these at a surprisingly low speed
Falken - Wore really quickly, both tyres got punctures (could have just been conincidence and in terms of grip they were never anything special.
Pneumant - Must have been made in the same factory as the Cheng Shin's and Tigar's!

You've excuse me if I go and pay a few extra pounds and get tyres from one of the companies I mentioned in my original post ;)

Sorry for the slight derail adam, like I said, the 100hp guys seem to rate them :)

try toyo t1r before you include all cheaper tyres in the same group as them

Uniroyal are owned by Continental (in Europe, in USA it's Michelin) & in recent EVO tyre test were only beaten by the new ContiSport3, but then the test was at the Contidome test facility so should be good.

Goodyear Eagle came 3rd, Michelin 4th, though older PS2 not new PS3, can't remember rest but only those four tyres won individual testing areas iirc

We have Uniroyal RS2 on our FTO in 225/45/17 & they are excellent, proven to be good wet and dry and very competent around new Silverstone GP track.

I have found Toyo to be good dry but so so wet not in same league to Uniroyal which in the size we bought were more expensive than Goodyear Eagles and Bridgestone.

On my old Cinq turbo I had both ContiSport 2 & original Uniroyal Rainsport & I liked the Uniroyals more & were def the best tyres inhad fitted to that far which could reduce 4 tyres to near illegal in 7k of Milton Keynes round-abouts!

Last edited:
Has anyone used them on a 500? What did you think?

I had them on the front of a car for a short period of time a couple of years ago and they felt pretty good (especially in the wet surprisingly enough). A friend has just put them on his MX5 and recons that they're very good and have a slightly softer sidewall for a better ride.

Just coming to the end of the second set of continentals and looking to try something different (and cheaper).

My girlfriend has Uniroyal rain****e's on her mx5. Remember the mx5 suspension was designed with the slightly higher profile tyre in mind to compliment the ride quality. I'm not a fan. To be be honest they're crud. They don't grip very well in the wet despite the name, they're noisy and intrusive in the dry and they tend to let go into a slide quite easily and not in a fun way. Steer clear.

Go the T1R's. I've chewed my way through all sorts of tyres on the 500 (contisports of all kinds, pirelli's, R888's, etc). The only one that really seems to suit it and is decent in terms of wear and grip is the toyo T1R's. And at about £125 a set they're cheap.

Back