have i blown my sub? :S

Currently reading:
have i blown my sub? :S

nickphonics18

what does a blown sub sound like?

im sure my bass doesnt sound like it should do. there seems to be alot or distorded vibration intime of the bass. its either the sub or maybe the bits and pieces in my boot are vibrating. the sub is only set at half way on my amp :S

i have a hz setting on my amp 50-150hz? what do u recommend i have that set to? what does it do exactly? higher the hz the more range of bass tones?

i have that setting on 6x9s to....where do i set that at?

wat power amp do u have? max and rms
wat is the capacity of the sub (how much power it can take)
and wat size is it?

the hz range is the range at which the sub will respond to, i think that is it is set to 150hz it will respond to anythin below that range giving a more responsive sub, more rolling bass lines, but could lead to distortion depending on how good the amp and sub is.

is there a bass booster on the amp? a little flick switch with setting 0, 6, and 12 (or sumthin like that) ideally u want that on 0, as 6 and 12 will distort the sound hardcore.

mine is set up with the bass boost on 0, gain vitrually all the way up, and frequency responce quite low around 80-90 hz, and the crossover set onto LF instead of HF or full. as i listen to a lot of dance music. same applies to the 6x9's depends a lot on the kind of music u listen to.

then my 6x9's have the bass turned right up (+8) the midrange on about -3 and treble on about -5 with the sound pushed slightly to the back, on the headunit.

do u have the sub in the correct size box? about 1cubic foot or so.

i dont have nothing expensive i bought it as a kit with amp sub speakers so amp should be powerful enough to handle them. i think its 800w with 400w sub and 350w 6x9s i think! the amp is SPLX MF800 4x200watts. its 4 channel

again the sub came with the box so that should be ok. i dont think i have that bass boost on my amp.

on amp i think i have input level and hz level halfway...same with 6x9s to.

i have the sub cables bridged across 3 and 4 channel. and each 6x9 in 1 + 2. is this correct?

so what does a blown sub do?

just found my amp specs

4ch x 200
hcc: 60 amps
THD 0.05%
power bandwidth: 10-40KHz
s/n ratio: 80dB
inpit sensitivity: 200mV/2.5V
sub low pass 50-150Hz
power supply 13.8 vlolts

dont mean nothing to me haha

hi sounds like you have it wired wrong you have a 4 channel amp delivering 200w per channel the sub only need to be wired to 1 of these (ex) cha 1 to left spk red and black cha2 to right spk red and black cha3 to sub red and black cha4 not used you could power a second sub in the future set the hz range to about 80 (in the middle) and set the volume on the amp to about 9 o clock or 3/4 of the way that should do it what you had before was cancelling due to the fact the sub bieng over driven by 400w at 2 ohms not good if it still sounds wrong then im afraid you blown the voice coil in the sub which means its knacked contact me if you need more info
regards scrod

yes you can bridge it but it will decrease the ohms by half in paralel and increase by half in series in a nut shell amp runs at 4 ohms bridge it you get 2 ohs can your sub run at this doubt it this then makes it all unstable and the amp works twice as hard to match the sub hence hamonic distortion (your sub sounds busted ) going the other way like daisy chain speakers together incresaing ohms 1 spk = 4ohm + 1spk 4ohm = 8 when the amp wants 4 simplefied dont wire 4 speakers to any 2 channel amp ok or you wil drive them at either 8 ohms or 2 ohs both can blow the voice coils or the amp most car stuff runs at 4 ohms lecture over lol
regards
scrod
;)

so instead of having it bridged across 2 channels (3+4) i should just connect it normally in channel 3? and leave 4 empty? to see if sub sounds any better?
thanks for your time and help :)

what direction is best to face your sub???? i have it on the far left of the boot facing outwards? should i face it to right or towards the inside or upwards? whats best?

Dont know about direction try different ways but would have it facing inwards towards the seat this will stop any excesive viberation as i dont know what rating the sub is i would say its best to just connect to channel 3 as discribed and see whats its like let us know you can always add another one !!! and its getting 200w max to it anyway
regards
scrod ;)

Back