General Fiat year:95 uno Start plus 14 ie - potential for power steering?

Currently reading:
General Fiat year:95 uno Start plus 14 ie - potential for power steering?

charton

Hi,

A year ago i was told by a mechanic whilst looking under the bonnet, that my uno had facility to enable it to have power steering, because it had this black box.

Not sure if my uno has this capability, any 1 out there got any idea.

Also, any 1 know what it'd cost to get a new handbrake?

Thanks

do you really need power steering??? The Uno is not a heavy car and the steering is definetely not heavy...maybe just a little bit for parking!! Costs would probably be to high to make it feasable!!

Drinu is correct....IMO.

Infact however I disagree with the idea of it being a light car and not necessary. I drove a scenic with PAS for months before my uno, I found the steering heavy and it meant even at speed some tight cornering took too much effort.

I have a broken back from ridding in the back of a van as it did 6 X 360’s to rest 10 years ago.

I’m thankful to be hear and walking and that...

Soon gona find out what the future may hold lol. New Scientist recons Dr guy D’ way(y) lol.

Regards All,

Luke, seriously, I used to think like you in that PAS was only for elderly people and weak women. However, having all the experience of both makes me feel that although the strength isn't a problem it's the speed of quick turning etc.

The Negotiator said:
Luke, seriously, I used to think like you in that PAS was only for elderly people and weak women. However, having all the experience of both makes me feel that although the strength isn't a problem it's the speed of quick turning etc.

i was just ribbing :D But i didnt really notice the difference of power steering. i went from a non PS learner car, to 1 with, then back to the uno with no PS. speed of turning the wheel hasnt really affected me that noticbly. Although makes a big difference in my dads range rover vs my mum vitara (non PS). Tryin to park that - nightmare

No, I never noticed it at first but when I compared them at a later date it was a huge difference. The other thing is brakes, it's amazing to drive a car that has proper brakes unlike the uno - I went from the scenic with ABS etc. to the Uno with the crap that they have (despite replacing the whole system). My laguna has brakes too which is good :)

You can't get a proper idea of driving in a learners car but you know that.

The Negotiator said:
No, I never noticed it at first but when I compared them at a later date it was a huge difference. The other thing is brakes, it's amazing to drive a car that has proper brakes unlike the uno - I went from the scenic with ABS etc. to the Uno with the crap that they have (despite replacing the whole system). My laguna has brakes too which is good :)

You can't get a proper idea of driving in a learners car but you know that.

Ahh, now brakes i'll totally agree on. The uno has terrible ones. To the point if i drive another different car, its like doing an emergency stop when applying the same force as a gentle stop in the uno :D

But back to PS, i've had a play around in a few cars - with and without PS, and its made little difference to me. To the point of i prefer non power steering - i like a little force feedback :D I had a go of my aunts street KA with PS and its terrible, the wheel turns but doesnt feel like anythings going on. I had to get out and check the wheels had turned! So in short i feel it only makes a difference on bigger heavier cars. I can turn the wheel just as quick and manouvre well without PS, but when you got huge wheels and a heavy car - then its essential :)

Oh and in the learners car, i had a pretty good grasp of different things. My instructor believed that kids would be kids and so tought how to handle the car "properly" as an "extra" module to the pass+

Last edited:
Same about the emergency stop thing, I drove my friends Fiesta (53 reg I think) and went to stop at the end of a road, bam, whoops, sorry guys ;)

PAS = much quicker steering, I promise!

The Negotiator said:
Same about the emergency stop thing, I drove my friends Fiesta (53 reg I think) and went to stop at the end of a road, bam, whoops, sorry guys ;)

PAS = much quicker steering, I promise!

only quicker on heavier cars (for me) ;)

Brakes work the opposite way round too. My dad drove my uno a lil while ago, and nearly put it through the garage because he didnt brake hard enough where he was used to his range rover. And dont even get me started on my mum :eek: Lets just say she's banned from my car :D

Anyways we've gone a bit :Offtopic:

Back on to the handbrake thing.. check your rear brake pads first, its a common problem that they crack and screw up the handbrake.

Well, as The Negotiator says, power-assisted steering can have benefits. It allows the designers of the suspension to do other things by making different geometry choices. For example, more caster angle (self-centering) might make the steering super-stable at motorway speeds, yet this would also make the steering heavy. Power-assisted steering can then be dialled-in to cure the heavy steering, and thus get 'the best of both worlds'.

One benefit that can be asserted is the steering ratio. There are 4.0 turns of the Uno steering wheel between locks (3.5 for the Turbo, IIRC). Thus when you execute a U-turn etc. you have to turn the wheel a lot. The 'lock' of an Uno is pretty good, so 4.0 turns doesn't feel too bad. If the ratio was reduced, you wouldn't have to twirl the wheel as much, though the steering would become heavier. But - you guessed it - this could be overcome by dialling in the assistance. So, you could make those U-turns faster.

Benefits like these are why modern cars have power-assisted-steering, but also the decreasing cost of these components compared with when the Uno was new.

This is all potential benefits in general, however, and if you want power-assisted steering in your Uno, may I instead suggest that you take a Tipo DGT for a drive? They're cheap enough these days. Most Tipo models already have power-assisted-steering, and it works quite nicely.

There are also obvious problems with PAS fitted to old cars like the Uno - it's one more thing to leak and break... ;)

Now, I've driven a 2003 Punto with the electric PAS, and I like it! At least, I like it for what it's designed for... small cars with roly-poly handling where you need to make the most of limited power... I've driven other small new cars and their steering is not as 'poised' as the Punto. Sometimes, modern cars are over-assisted, so that you have to make several corrections while cornering at higher speeds. That is more tedious than heavy steering would be.

One risk of PAS is that it takes away the 'clean' feeling of control, and the car becomes a sort-of guided missile that you merely pilot by pre-setting the steering, rather than by 'feel'. You might wonder what you would want to 'feel' - well, how about the amount of grip the tyres have? Or how close to the limits the car is actually cornering? And I mentioned the over-assistance before...

But in the Punto, I just loved leaving the 'City' mode on all the time and still having easy, precise control! So, I think there's a big difference between steering that 'feels' nice, and steering that is merely 'light'. I think that Uno steering feels nice.

-Alex

Last edited:
You don't NEED PAS at all, especially in an Uno.

You'll learn much more about car control (and thus a better driver) without it, and it's actually lots of more fun!

I have driven a PAS Micra which is similar in size weight and engine and found it far too light in fact a drain on the engine.
As Alex says sensation through the steering wheel makes for a more responsive and better drive. They dont have it on F1 cars
I think we can all agree lads sensation means everything yeah! lol
Pete

Pas Sensation Vs Lowering?

Peterg said:
...As Alex says sensation through the steering wheel makes for a more responsive and better drive. They dont have it on F1 cars
I think we can all agree lads sensation means everything yeah! lol
Pete
Hi Peterg _Uno Poloce?_;)

I have gained plenty more sensation and feel through being 35 mm lower these past few days, [to stay on the topic (and out of trouble) see https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=24793 ] – sorry still no camera – long story lol.

I might now have some sensation spare now - perhaps more if I get 13" Mk1 alloys Wi wider tyres...lol.

I’m still wondering if anyone can compare Uno driving with and without pas lol.
Regards All,

Back