Technical How do I remove the lock barrel from the fuel cap?

Currently reading:
Technical How do I remove the lock barrel from the fuel cap?

I'm stump'd on how I am supposed to remove the lock barrel from the fuel cap. Cannot see any clips holding it. Anyone any ideas?

Just had a look at mine and I cant see anything obvious.

Is your diesel one is like mine just black? All i can see on the back is three holes with nothing behind. Bellow them the white plastic bit is split, mabye it seperates there? I didnt dare try on mine though. ;) I could unlock and relock my cap off the car.

Maybe if you butcher two and with the resulting parts it might clip back toghether and make a good one. Or try with a scrap one first.

Search didnt find anything useful
i tried to figure out how to open it up but i cant. maybe you should just live with it not locking. sorry

Last edited:
No the diesel one is different. Its brand new, so don't want to break it. I can see the spring clip through the hole for the lock barrel but have no idea how I can get to it on my old cap.

22112010717.jpg

You might be able to cut out your original key barrel then just push it in the hole and it might clip into the spring. At least that always works with the door key barrels.

Its crazy that none of the manuals go into detail on this, I even have a full original hard copy of the Fiat Workshop manual.

In the past ive changed them by cutting open the old one, the new barrel will just clip in, iirc you need the key in the lock before you push it into the new one.

In the past ive changed them by cutting open the old one, the new barrel will just clip in, iirc you need the key in the lock before you push it into the new one.

I'll try to prise the old one apart somehow, if all else fails i'll just cut it out.

Thanks for the replys. Was hoping it would be an easy thing to do.

No the diesel one is different. Its brand new, so don't want to break it. I can see the spring clip through the hole for the lock barrel but have no idea how I can get to it on my old cap.

View attachment 84103
I ended up with one of these filler caps. It is extreamly easy to dismatle, I only used a swiss army knife. Basicaly if you look at the back of the cap at north, south, east, and west there are four clips holding the back of the cap onto the front. If you zoom in on joske's photo and my pictures you can make them out.

Carefully prise each clip off the back of the cap and its seperates.

At this point you can pull the white barrel retainer out. It is held in with a single plastic clip and is stiff but pulls right out. Again leaver the clip off and pull.

Pull the lock barrel retaining pin out, and ever part is now sat on your desk

As I guessed in my previous post you can just push a replacement lock barrel into the housing.

Last edited:
Back