76747_1744344771223_1316852893_1908808_1325840_n.jpg

Punto (Mk1) Beeve's wheels! (MK1).

Introduction

Well well well... where to start, a bit of history shall we...
Im 18 years old, just started an apprenticeship with Hendy Ford... starting to learn to drive few months ago, now passed my theory and my driving test is booked for the 19th January... 3 days after my birthday!

I needed a car and my uncle heard I was doing lessons so he decided to donate me his Punto 1998 MK1 1.2 8v 60SX.. it's had a ton of parts already replaced (clutch and a load of other crap im not gunna bother saying).. now this car started with my cousin, which it then overheated on, and he was about to scrap it when my uncle jumped in and bought it off him, he rebuilt it all and replaced what needed to be replaced and it now runs sweet as a nut.

Just had an MOT in september too, failed on some rust and lights but all sorted now... now for the fun stuff, i collected the car on Sunday and my dad drove it back (im insured and he's a named driver on my policy)..
now the list of things that need looking at:
brakes bearly work, pedal has to be all the way down and there just generaly incredibly spoungy.. spoke to my uncle and he said since the cars bene in the family, rear shoes haven't been replaced so this may be the problem.. im going to put it up on the ramp tomorrow at work and inspect it...
1st and 2nd are a bit funny, doesn't seem like synchro mesh, my dad explained it as you have to double clutch it to get them to go in? so going to have a look at the gear linkage with that one at some point, may need some fine tuning possibly...
nearside rear window keeps falling down, took this apart this evening (winders on fiats are a pain in the ass to get off?! i ended up with a screw driver going through my nail!) and seems that the winder cable (one of them?) has snapped, now you cant take the unit apart as its got rivets, but dad said he has a rivet gun so may take it apart and see if we can replace the cable, who knows... but as its been sat on someones drive for ages, the seats have got dampe ct so the inside of the car is veryyyyyy damp.
Temp guage doesnt work, well, it does, the car's just not getting hot enough, again, dad thinks this may be the thermostat as my uncle 'replaced' it but he's a farmer and we know what there like :p plus it was aftermarket so may be a duff one.. more investigation needed though.
As i was cleaning it, noticed the spare whell well was rotting through too, so thats going to need some welding..
the rest is little things i think, to name a few bits, rear wiper doesnt work as cousin semi snapped the right stalk off, radio isnt in the car anymore, gay speakers in the back need replacing and rewiring.. gear gaitor needs replacing as its all ripped and a tad annoying, wipers need replacing as there wrecked... power cables in there for a sub/amp at the mo are wired totally wrong and look a mess, again, rewire.. arial wire has been cut so going to replace that... possibly replace rear lights as there letting moisture in.. replace drivers seat or something as its ripped to shreds, literally... no switch for front fog lights? Again, think my cousins been pissing about with something there... not sure if this car had remote central locking? as only key left from over the years is the red one.. if possible, going to chuck on standard remote central locking i think... anyone share any light on this? Does the SX come standard with this?
So yeah, but on the plus side, the engine is a dreamer as its been rebuilt ect, sadly the outside of the car has a million dents/nicks and scratches but shall try my best to clean it up, had to empty the inside of loads of rubbish and mould and dirt ect last night, its now nice ish inside but the outside is still mouldy ect as its been raining and not had a chance to clean it :(
Photo's are off my mobile but will get better ones soon!

Re: Beeve's wheels! (MK1)

Took the rear brakes apart yesterday, had a hang over so ended up making mistakes and pushed one of the pistons out by accident, DOH. :doh:

Found out one of the pistons where seized though so got a replacement which il fit next Saturday (one day off a week)... also replaced the thermostat which fixed the temperature guage and allowed the engine get to the right temperature :) Bled the system too so now the heating actually blows through hot air!

Replaced rear window regulator too so its water tight now :)

Managed to finish work at half 2 today so gave it a wash and started pulling out the old amp cables and started feeding in my own ones (better quality..) also had the wiring harness arrive yesterday so fitted that today ready for the headunit to be put in once i sort out the speaker wiring first so that should all be done before next weekend, woohoo!

A picture of the car as it stands before a clean, going to be on wood until next saturday now :(

Car looks good(y)
I chose to go with the punto as my first car after seeing a pic of a gray 3dr.:)

What wipers have you got on the front btw? i've been looking for just like those but cant seem to find the right size...

I dont really know and i have my suspicions if they are the right size to be honest... I will have a look in the day light and see if i can tell and let you know :)
Got home from work today, ripped out all the old amp cables and put my own in and alot tidier, cables are much better quality too.

Been thinking about what I want to do to the car and i'm really stuck, i love euro, but its not cheap and im not sure if this is the right car for it.. as it needs so much work. I think for now im going to get some VERY cheap alloys off a mate, keep an eye out for body panels same colour as I have dents, drivers door has had an attempt of breaking in in the past ect..
Green/black interior too, to match the dials.. not my main prioty though, sound system i've got alot of idea's so thats one to keep an eye on, also a few unique ideas kicking about in my head but wont start on them till im happy with more important things... engine wise, GSR induction, possible chip... a tidy and thats about it till i get a bit older ;)

Maybe lower 50mm, again, not my main worry... just stuff like that for now.. then once i got to a stage where im happy with most of it, i may start changing things alot, go for more performance parts including interior.. but anyway, there's a few idea's i got going on...

Also found exhaust is leaking... excuse for something more special...?

Done some wiring on the speakers, they now work but one sounds blown and the fronts bearly work volume wise, i think the 6x9 (only one) is drawing too much power then stopping the others getting enough so they either bearly work or sound blown... typical so looks like im going to have to amp them...
also, headunit doesnt turn on with ignition, it jus turns on, and stays on. So sounds like a dodgy barrel so spray some WD40 in there when i get some, see if it helps, if not, im going to put a switch in on the ignition wire, as theres a constant feed on it at the moment... its a pain, but hey ho. Joys of second hand, old cars!

My radio came with instructions for wiring, On the mk1 punto i think you had to cross the red and yellow wires? can't remember off the top of my head.

My radio wont come on by it's self - i dont think. and turns off 30 seconds after ignition is off.

However, on our '91 panda we had to cut a live blue wire that turned on / off with ignition. - sounds like what ur going to do(y) we didn't solder the joint, just mixed the copper wires togeather then used eletrical tape over the join(y) That radio now turns on & off with ignition and makes the beeping noise when you turn the car off to remind you to take the radio out before someone else does:p

Well I'm now pretty sure it is the barrel thats gone, my cousin admitted he snapped a key in it a while back and the AA had to pull it out... so look's like im going to have to bypass the ignition by using a switch to turn the radio on and off, joy...

Day off today, so went to take the rear cylinders off, found out its so corroded the bolts have changed size, meant to be 11mm but now 10.5 and no point rounding it off so pushed piston back in and packed it all up ready to take to work on Monday... went for a drive to see if anything changed... brakes dont work at all now, got back home, had a look around the rear, brake fluid everywhere... not sure whats happened, seal gone maybe but no more pissing about with it, fed up of it being a pain so will get it to work one way or another and sort it there...

On the plus side, new aerial base and aerial it self fitted :) doesnt look right as the aerial is thicker than the base haha, woops!

right car's back home now, ended up replacing both rear wheel cylinders and shoes, found out one hand brake cables seized though... and the brake pipes/bolts are so corroded its insane. Had alot of problems getting the old cylinders off and bleeding the brakes! Brakes still feel spongy as hell but they work... todays plan is to start work on a custom interior bit to hold my switch and something else at a later date ;) but thats secret for now... if i get the switch in today i'll post a picture, all i'll say is it involves suede ;)
cheers.

haven't posted anything for a while, been busy busy with my apprenticeship, but some clear repeaters arrived today so they'l be fitted soon, fitted some new fancy floor mates and thats about it so far? Haven't got alot of spare money at the moment, driving tests booked though and thats coming up so fingers crossed! I expect most of the money i do have left will be going on fuel for a while once i pass, with wanting to get out and all that :p pictures to come soon!

haven't posted anything for a while, been busy busy with my apprenticeship, but some clear repeaters arrived today so they'l be fitted soon, fitted some new fancy floor mates and thats about it so far? Haven't got alot of spare money at the moment, driving tests booked though and thats coming up so fingers crossed! I expect most of the money i do have left will be going on fuel for a while once i pass, with wanting to get out and all that :p pictures to come soon!

Sounds like a good plan for the car, Can't wait for pictures. This car has potential.

I know what you mean with the whole spare money lark. Driving has taken quite a lot of my money away from me also, When you do pass your insurance will rise, so watchout.

Goodluck for the 19th (y) Hope you pass.

nice base for further work, keep it up.. and don't worry about the lack of money, most of us have the same problem :D

just remember : even the smallest things can make it stand out, maybe nobody will notice them but you'll know they're there, even if it's just to put a smile on your face.. and another thing : do-it-yourself method makes things much more valuable to yourself (y)

haha thanks guys, rawb, you said good luck with the 19th?! where did you get that from?! or do you mean my bday, not the driving test date?! So confused! But yes my birthdays coming up, the test isnt on the 19th though :p Before then! Keeping the date secret though, from everyone..

Oh yes im certainly a DIY guy with cars, screw paying garages silly money for stuff (plus i work in one so......) hahaha! I only realised today how much they charge for pads and fitting, if i was doing it for a mate, i'd say free for some drinks! Never mind eh!

Next on my shopping list is clear indicators to go with the repeaters, 10" sub box is needed before i chuck the sub in, all the wirings in though just waiting, fit the components i've got stashed under my bed... fit new front pads which i've had for ages just not fitted... get a new hand brake cable for one side maybe, if i can be bothered :p then start looking at wheels, well thats the plan anyway but as always it WILL change. Once the weather clears up im going to get the t-cut out and see how many of the scratches are there for good... as im still not sure what to do about the dents/scratches/paint peel... none of the photos so far show how bad the body really is, there's ALOT of damage.... every panel apart from the roof and 1 door is damaged in one form or another... :( oh and offside front quarter panel! :p

haha thanks guys, rawb, you said good luck with the 19th?! where did you get that from?! or do you mean my bday, not the driving test date?! So confused! But yes my birthdays coming up, the test isnt on the 19th though :p Before then! Keeping the date secret though, from everyone..

Oh yes im certainly a DIY guy with cars, screw paying garages silly money for stuff (plus i work in one so......) hahaha! I only realised today how much they charge for pads and fitting, if i was doing it for a mate, i'd say free for some drinks! Never mind eh!

Next on my shopping list is clear indicators to go with the repeaters, 10" sub box is needed before i chuck the sub in, all the wirings in though just waiting, fit the components i've got stashed under my bed... fit new front pads which i've had for ages just not fitted... get a new hand brake cable for one side maybe, if i can be bothered :p then start looking at wheels, well thats the plan anyway but as always it WILL change. Once the weather clears up im going to get the t-cut out and see how many of the scratches are there for good... as im still not sure what to do about the dents/scratches/paint peel... none of the photos so far show how bad the body really is, there's ALOT of damage.... every panel apart from the roof and 1 door is damaged in one form or another... :( oh and offside front quarter panel! :p

Ahh my mistake :eek: Goodluck with both then! ahah! Get some pictures up of the scratches, im quite the paintwork god ;) So get some pictures up and i'll tell you the best course of action to take. Your car sounds like the Punto 60 S that im driving at the moment, A TOTAL SHED :bang: Mine has a huge dent down one side where im sure someone smashed a shopping trolly on purpose and smashed it down one entire side. It's got lacquer peal on the roof where it's corroded from bird S**t. Front left indicator lens missing, Right hand side handbrake cable running almost along the floor. If the car is as bad as you say, Just forget about modifications, just pass your test and enjoy driving. :D

Well more goodies have arrived! Including a sub box, clear indicators, and some more suede ;)

So yesterday I got round to fitting my sub/amp, but got a problem with the wires so needs some fiddling but i havent got time at the moment!
Been away at ford college for last 2 weeks so... oh and i failed my driving test :p I didnt stop at a stop sign, woops! rest was perfect!

Started putting in the wires for my components but not sure what to do at the moment about door speakers, so need to figure that out soon! But if i go with what im thinking, it's going to be a nice surprise for all of you! As i aint seen it on a punto before!

Anyway, still need to get pictures desperately! Just got no time! Back to worry tomorrow, arg!

Cheers

I see you mentioned about bad brake pipe corrosion & the temperature gauge not going up very high. The brake pipe corrosion was subject to an official recall a few years ago, where Fiat either treated the pipes to stop corrosion or replace them if they were too corroded. I had the ones on my P reg Punto treated & i'm sure your model would be included. Dunno if there is a cut-off point where Fiat can refuse to fix it (they did my 1996 car in 2003) but if there isn't a cut-off, you might be able to get them changed for nothing! :slayer:

Also, the temperature gauge on my Mk1 1.2 SX always hovered around 1/4 of the way up the gauge, as did other Mk1 Puntos i've driven. It only ever went up to around half when sat in traffic, and the fan would come on and take it back to just above 1/4. Once on the move again, it stayed at 1/4. Therefore if yours is similar i wouldn't worry about this as long as the heater is behaving & there's no other signs of cooling problems (oil in the water or vice versa, etc).

Good luck with it. I still miss my little go-cart :(

Hi mate, yeah thats all sorted now temperature wise, it was the thermostat, and now hovers around the 1/4 mark :) but i may look into this pipe thing your on about! Will ring them soon!
Could do with my whole rear end/axle being replaced to be honest, wonder if thats included... haha!
cheers.

Back