Technical Start&Stop + Turbo cool down

Currently reading:
Technical Start&Stop + Turbo cool down

As far as I know, you need to let the turbo cool down for a minute or so before turning the engine off. This is what I used to do with my previous turbocharged cars, especially after those driving-for-fun drives.

How does the new Start&Stop system cope with those cool down times?
Say you are driving and need to stop at the lights. Stopping will turn the engine off, but still the turbo needs to cool down for a bit. Or maybe I'm wrong and modern turbos don't need to cool down like that anymore?

Last edited:
I wouldnt be too concerned, its not that high a pressure a turbo.

surely fiat will have tested and tested these to destruction.

yep, as it's not a high pressure turbo it's not a bloody great thing spinning at max revs absorbing loads of heat.

It's simple really- if you're going to be having some fun and ragging the car for a bit, disable the S/S temporarily until you've been driving around sensibly at low rpm/low load for a few minutes to give everything a chance to settle down, then re-activate it for the rest of the journey.

No manufacturer has ever had any form of turbo timer from the factory, so Fiat aren't an exception.

:)

Turbo cool down isnt required on any road going car.
and no road going car which is that powerful has a turbo really, only exception that springs to mind is the GTR, any other car with a high powered turbo have had them fitted after market, so turbo timers fitted after, the GTR though from what i recall, i may be wrong, has a high pressure and a low pressure, so unless you pull up literally after giving it full whack and turning engine straight off the high pressure has time to cool when driving normally for 5minutes.

so basically the fiat turbo'd car, i cant see premature wear happening that badly.

Back