General steering wheel

Currently reading:
General steering wheel

qsjustin

I've had problems with the steering wheel since day one, it is difficult to get in and out of the car (I'm 6 foot) as the wheel is virtually down onto the top of my legs and I could not see the speedo / rev counter as its obscured by the wheel.
I have removed the column today and packed the two rear mounting bolts(10mm head) with a 5mm packer, this has the effect of raising the steering wheel enough to clear my legs and let me see the instruments, an easy fix that maybe useful to someone else with the same problem ?

Hi what year is your car? I have a late GF and have fitted an older steering wheel which has a lot more "throw" i.e the wheel gives me room for my knees. I am also in the process of modifying the seat runners to give me about 25mm more room,I am 6'2" so know the problem. I even have a certain pair of shoes I wear when I drive the X. The later steering wheels (3 spoke)are very straight and don't allow much room:yuck::yuck:

Hi, mine is an 88 E reg, if you do this mod you will be suprised at the room it gives

I'm also 6' 2" & to gain more room I've.....

fitted a 12" steering wheel - steering still very light
removed the spare wheel and cut the "parcel shelf" so the seat goes back further (the head restraint now touches the rear window)
adjusted the clutch pedal so it sits lower. I'll cut some off the rod between pedal & master cylinder when I can get time.

Future plans include fitting seats without head restraints so they'll go further back & then attach a seperate/thinner head restraint to the rear window.
Shortening the pedals. They're too low for my size 10's which means I have to pull my heels back to operate the pedals with my toes. Shorter pedals will mean I can keep my legs straighter & a shorter pedal will also have a shorter travel so they can be set lower.(yes more effort needed, but I can live with that.
John
419029108_o.jpg

Hi There.I am tombraider6467.Hi to all those who know me.And to all of you that don't.I have just joined and would like to say hi to you all.
I have had 12 x1/9s in 2 years mostly for stripping.
I have 2 x1/9s that i am running now.A 87 model standared which i have upgraded just small upgrades from cloth interiour to black leather.and from black body trim to chromn.pepper pot wheels to gran finale wheels look better?.
I have learnt a bit since stripping them.I am in the club as well.
For starters I thought i would give a couple of bits of info.
To improve your car a easy job?.It will feel like going from formula 3000.To a formula 1.
your air filter box.The intake pipe if you look at it.It goes from fat at the top to small at the bottom.Well take it off the car and cut it down to about 2"or3".So the air intake is more you will notice a huge difference.Espically at setting of it will now be gulpping the air instead of sucking it in.What a difference.And you do not have to buy a k&n.
Seat belt drivers side.If you are tall not like me 5'8".Where your main seat belt is fixed at the bottom near the door.You can unbolt it and fit it up at the side of the spare wheel cover.Higher up and this will give guys 6'4" plenty of room for there legs it makes a huge difference as you get what the seat belt is stopping going back.It is the same metal where you could put it and it only needs hole sorting for fitting bolt but it has to be done right i have seen a few cars done that way.With guys up to 6'4".But they had smaller steering wheels on to.I have been told by the guys that it is legal to do this but if you do go for it make sure as it could be different in different countries to do but i cannot see any reason why not.
I also have a 1980 eurosport.it is fully legal but i am having full job done to make look like new.changing from brown interior to black.Black dash carpets.I have also had some seat covers delivered from America.Not covers that you put over the top the ones you have to strip your seats down and recover.Black and red.Red dimonds in the seating part.Mint.When i am used to this site i will put pictures of my cars.As i am on ebay busy as a few of you will know me?.For x1/9 parts but stopping soon for crimbo
Thanks.Denny.

Back