General Dilemma, to break or not to break?

Currently reading:
General Dilemma, to break or not to break?

As some of you know my gearbox and clutch need to be replaced. I am being quoted anything from £700 to £900 for a recon one. The £700 quote is a ball park figure the £900 quotes are set prices.

I am struggling to find this money and starting to wonder if I may be better off breaking the car and selling it for spares and just starting again. I love my car but its a 52 plate, I only bought it in June, I paid £1865 from a dealer and I am wondering if spending another £900 on this car is a good idea. It has done 77,000 miles.

It has a full cream leather interior, there is no damage on the bodywork whatsoever, Visteon CD player etc. Everything works, nothing is missing or damaged.

Selling it as it is would not get me enough money to replace it, but breaking would most likely give me more than enough.

What do you guys think?:(

What engine is yours? if Mr Cousins gets paid out on his stilo and gets to keep the car and has the same engine there may be a deal to be done.

Ty for the response, there is another thread re the possibility of using the gearbox from Mr Cousins car but his is a 1.4 and mine is a 1.6 and so far no one seems to think it will work:confused:

Ty for the response, there is another thread re the possibility of using the gearbox from Mr Cousins car but his is a 1.4 and mine is a 1.6 and so far no one seems to think it will work:confused:

Two boxes are different units..even eper shows the gearbox part codes as different..Now if it was me I would dump it pronto but your not me and as we can see are having a bit of a hard time of it at the mo..so maybe put the car on sorn until a box turns up and hope that nothing else goes wrong after a box is fitted..then sell it on and hope you can get at least some of your hard earned back..(y)

Two boxes are different units..even eper shows the gearbox part codes as different..Now if it was me I would dump it pronto but your not me and as we can see are having a bit of a hard time of it at the mo..so maybe put the car on sorn until a box turns up and hope that nothing else goes wrong after a box is fitted..then sell it on and hope you can get at least some of your hard earned back..(y)

My son failed his driving test this afternoon too Phil, it means I can drive his car for a bit longer but I am upset for him too. He has it rebooked for 16th Dec now.

There is a secondhand gearbox on ebay right now for £150 from an 02 thats being broken but there is no way of knowing how many miles are left in it so it could be a bad idea.

Aww sorry to here the lad failed his test :(..second time lucky like I was..all the best drivers pass the second time the first timers well they were just plain lucky..:p;)

Yep 02 box is a bit long in the tooth I have to say..no point in asking what the car had on the clock when it came in I suppose..:idea: boxes can be checked over for general ware before they are fitted..if you do get a second hand box its wise to to get that checked over what ever the age..a pin comes adrift in the diff which destroys these boxes and that ones easy to check when its out/before fitting..

Aww sorry to here the lad failed his test :(..second time lucky like I was..all the best drivers pass the second time the first timers well they were just plain lucky..:p;)

Yep 02 box is a bit long in the tooth I have to say..no point in asking what the car had on the clock when it came in I suppose..:idea: boxes can be checked over for general ware before they are fitted..if you do get a second hand box its wise to to get that checked over what ever the age..a pin comes adrift in the diff which destroys these boxes and that ones easy to check when its out/before fitting..

I have just booked it in to get the work done tomorrow, it will be part cash rest on the CC. The insurance company have agreed to insure both of them for the next 14 days for no extra charge too.

God I wish you luck! Esp for the next 12 months until you recover financially :-|

Zen

get it fixed!
i had the same problem with mine. ( well what actually happened was the diff on the gearbox blew up)at 45,000 miles!

i took it to jones transmissions in the westmidlands and they put in a reconditioned gearbox ( like new) and a brand new OME clutch for £700 all in, including all the parts and labour.

You should have popped over this side of the water. A guy I know who will replace the box for £500.
Glad your geting it sorted though.

I have to say I'm a heartless barstard and I would make your son pay. If you are that financially stetched then you should have sent him out to work and save up for his own car. Sorry I couldn't leave without saying that.

Maybe he's struggling with university learning, who knows. :yum:

The fact is, when you have a car on which you have everything right except something, it's definitely a good idea to sort it out and keep it.

I would break the car only if there were numerous things wrong and the actual repair job would cost more than the car itself. :)

I have some issues with my own, not that heavy, but still am nowhere near selling or breaking any of them.

If you do break it - i would be very tempted by the interior. Yummy.

P.s - I would rather you got it fixed as I know how much you like your car. So good luck with everything and let us know how you get on, hopefully you will be back on the road with your own car soon.

Gutted bout he lad failing his test, we cant all pass first time (y)

Last edited:
You should have popped over this side of the water. A guy I know who will replace the box for £500.
Glad your geting it sorted though.

I have to say I'm a heartless barstard and I would make your son pay. If you are that financially stetched then you should have sent him out to work and save up for his own car. Sorry I couldn't leave without saying that.

I have to clarify something here. My son got a largish loan after he graduated Uni to pay off various credit cards and stuff. He had quite a bit left over and he bought my car AND his car within about 2 weeks of each other. I am paying him back for mine by way of him not paying me any keep to live here until Feb. He is paying for his own. He does work, long hours, night shifts, overtime etc.

He also stuck one years tax on mine a couple of months ago without even telling me he was going to. He also covers the cost of the broadband, house phone bills and Sky.

I guess me being the one in the forum asking all the questions and me being the mother everyone assumes that I am the one covering all this financially too but thats far from the case.

He is 24 next month and could easily have spent £3000 on something nicer for himself instead of lending me £1800 and only spending £1100 on his.

The only reason I can afford to get my car done right now is because he is letting me use one of the credit cards that he cleared to make up my shortfall, so I am sorry if I my posts have been misleading. I help my kids as much as I can and will try and sort out any problems they have but right now HE is the one bailing me out.

He is the nicest sweetest kindest son a mother could ask for and I feel bad if I have given a different impression. I do also have a 17 year old who holds me upside down to see if any lose change drops out lol, but thats another story!;)

Back