Technical Urgent help needed! RE: Coilovers

Currently reading:
Technical Urgent help needed! RE: Coilovers

CBass

I have some coilovers only FK's nothing special.

I have fitted the front ones fine with out too many issues. How ever when I got on to the rear I came across a problem.

I got the shock off and could not take off the top mount. It seems to have either rusted itself together or just plain got stuck. I could not, no matter what I did with what ever standard tools, hold the middle bolt and take off the nut. I tried pretty much everything I could think of with what I have around.

Has anyone else had this problem, is there a special tool or do I just need to buy new ones?

If it's a case of buying new ones, does anyone know where I can get them?

I live in Swindon and really need them by Monday as I have work on Tuesday in Tidworth and no other way of getting there.

Any help appreciated.

just a guess, soak in wd40 over night seemed to work for most rusted on bolts on my old car.

Cheers for the quick reply. Did try soaking it in WD40 but the nut would still not move even when holding the shock rod still with two people holding clamps on it and knocking with a hammer.

I will post a picture of it in a minute to help explain the problem.

Cheers

As you can see the nut is well and truely stuck on the center bolt. You need to be able to hold the bolt and get to the nut to turn it at the same time. Has anyone got any idea how? Tried plyers and spanners and many other things.

Please help!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • photo[1].jpg
    photo[1].jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
I had the same problem, had to get a bar to extend the tourque on the spanner and stand on the strut!

Wd40, heat, hammer to break the seal from the rust, impact driver are all worth a try

Had 3 people all trying to use brute force and WD40 to get it off!

What spanner did you use and what did you use to hold the bolt or did it just not turn when you stood on it?

It's a f****** b****** of a job! I can't even find anywhere to by top mounts!

What do you mean by heat?

Cheers for your help buddy!

Used some mole grips on a reallllly tight, took all my weight to lock them, then stood on the grips and pressed down on the ring spanner.

Using heat sometimes loosens a bolt

That might work then, we only used them as tight as we could by hand. What size ring spanner did you use? we couldn't find one angled enough to get down onto the nut...

Will have another go tomorrow anyway. Cheers for the help

My mate helped me who worked for the aa so we had his van full of tools at hand.
We used a ring spanner with a big offset to get in to the bolt but still miss the mount.
A deep socket and socket might work, use a long piece of metal tube over the spanner to give more lerveage.

Cheers for the help. I have managed to do it and love the coilovers! Handles like a go kart now :)

Used an offset ring spanner a pair of pliers to hold the bolt in the middle, worked a treat. Did what I couldn't do in an hour, in 15 minutes in the end!

Will hopefully get round to writing a guide as I couldn't find any.

That's the next step mate. Getting the camera out tonight with some mates, ones got a Civic type s and the others got the limited edition corsa with the vxr body kit. So I'll get some of just mine then.

I'm pretty sure it's about 60mm lower all round... All I know is that if I had it 2mm lower it would not get off my drive way without leaving marks on the pavement haha.

Yeah had my tracking and camber done yesterday for £70, think all of them were over 4 degrees out haha.

Absolutely love them though, did not expect them to be that good for £180! I do a lot of miles on country roads and motorways. Have already been from Swindon to Portsmouth, down the motorway, then from Ports to Tidworth on some country lanes and can not complain about them yet. Bit hard but not uncomfortable for me. GF complained a bit but that's not at all important ;)

Not sure what my next mod should be...

Back