Illegal Custom Dials

Currently reading:
Illegal Custom Dials

illegal. spedos must show a minimum of 10mph increments as far as im aware as its easy to judge between. its hard to tell really 30mph from 0-70. not impossible but more than a quick glance.

illegal. spedos must show a minimum of 10mph increments as far as im aware as its easy to judge between. its hard to tell really 30mph from 0-70. not impossible but more than a quick glance.

can't be right, my mk2b punto went up from 0-20-40-60 mph so does my mk1, i think lol

or do you mean just the gaps/lines without the actual number on them?

Last edited:
Unlawful.

For cars first used on or after 1st april the speedo must show MPH and KPH and must cover the top speed of which the car is capable.

The graduations can be any of 1, 2, 5 or 10 , must show graduations for both MPH and KPH

Numerical values of speed must be multiples of 20 for both MPH and KPH

If you want refs to the laws that cover this let me know.

My imported Prelude's speedo went up in 20mph increments and didn't have any markers in between...

It was also a kph speedo which had been converted to show only mph - I didn't seem to have any problems?

Which 1st of April is that from??

There is some argument about whether or not SVA requires the speedo to read in KPH as well as MPH but all the other things I listed in my earlier post definitely apply to imports. Unless the car comes under one of these statutory exemptions.

Regulation 35 Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 states that every motor vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer except:

* a vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 m.p.h.,
* a vehicle which, at all times, is unlawful to drive at more than 25 m.p.h.,
* an agricultural motor vehicle driven at not more than 20 m.p.h.,
* a motor cycle not exceeding 100cc first used before 1st April 1984,
* an invalid carriage first used before 1st April 1984,
* a works truck first used before 1st April 1984,
* any vehicle first used before 1st October 1937,
* a vehicle fitted with an approved tachograph which is required or not.

Unlawful.

For cars first used on or after 1st april the speedo must show MPH and KPH and must cover the top speed of which the car is capable.

The graduations can be any of 1, 2, 5 or 10 , must show graduations for both MPH and KPH

Numerical values of speed must be multiples of 20 for both MPH and KPH

If you want refs to the laws that cover this let me know.
Whoops. I know my car's missing it's Kmph after having custom dials fitted. Never been so much as mentioned at MOT time though for the last 6 years :confused:

Ther are lots of things required by the Construction and Use Regulations that are not covered by the MOT test. When such things are ever checked and what happens when they are I don't know.

Back