Technical Few Stilo maintenance questions

Currently reading:
Technical Few Stilo maintenance questions

Morpheus

Hi,

im seeking pointers on the following issues...

firstly,

Red 2003 bog standard Fiat Stilo
3 door
1.2 16 valve,
16000 miles,
serviced last month.

1. How do you know if your car is a Stilo active? does it say it on the boot under the 16v?

2. When driving slow, when i lock the steering wheel fully right or left say when doing a 3 point turn or reversing out of my driveway, there is sometimes a brief 2 to 3 second squeeling noise that sounds exactly like a fan belt slipping, would this be caused by the steering mechanism, would it be the engines fan belt itself? it does usually seem to happen when the car is cold, but has only begun happening since november.

3. For the last while ive noticed that on the inside lining of the bonnet (black cloth like material) directly under where the pipes go from the water bottle into the windscreen water spray nozzles, there is a smallish white powdery stain on the black linging under each one. Is it limescale? is it dried up water? should it be there or are the nozzles leaking?

4. Now the gear stick, ive noticed that when i push the gear stick left, eg changing from 3rd gear, up, left and down into second that when it goes from the centre position to the left, it is creaking or squeaking a little and feels like it needs to be lubricated. Would this be right or is it just a general squeeking that goes along with the fiat namesake?

5. When i step on the clutch pedal it creaks, it always has since i got the car, ive tried to get under it and WD40 it but its so awkward and i can never locate the exact location on the pedal of the creakings cause.

6. Where can i get a stilo maintenance manual?

Thanks for all the advice anyone can offer,
Regards
Morpheus (Ireland)

1. All 1.2 Stilo's are Actives
2. Don't full lock a car, not good for it, your putting all the gubbins under strain, Stilo power steering is electric, so your putting a bigger load on battery etc at full lock. Maybe your battery is struggling, and the alternator is turning up the current causing the fan belt squeek.
3. a bit of sludge under the bonnet, don't worry about it, if the whole area is soaking i'd say it was a leak, if only a tiny area its probably nothing.
4. not sure about gear lever squeek.
5. Clutch pedal bush is wearing, can be replaced under warranty by your garage if you hassle them.
6. No manual yet, but this place is pretty helpful! :)

Rate me if you think this was helpful! :)

Hi, im bumping this up,

the main problem is now the gears, they feel creaky or notchy, they are not smooth at all like they used to be, this is only when im changnig 3rd to 2nd to 1st and vice versa, there is a significant whining noise from the engine particularly changing between 2nd and 1st. I dont mean the usual whine you get when changing the lower gears, the reason i mention is is because i can physically feel a rubbing like vibration in the gear box through the gear
stick, ive only noticed this in the last month or so.

To top all my problems, i reversed into a low wall this morning and scraped the back bumper :(

Fiat want to roadtest it tomorrow morning, great, more time off work.

what do you think the gear problem may be?

Last edited:
Ok heres another question,

if i phone my garage and report a fault with the gearbox today, my car is still under warranty, and i make an appointment today but they cant look at it until the week after the warranty runs out, will the work be carried out under warranty?

Problem solved, some of the bushings in the gearbox where the gear lever enters it were dry. thats why the gears felt rough.

Also told me to ensure i dont go changing from 2nd to 1st that the car isnt designed for this. I dont do it that often but i wont be doing it again, they saud that the gears feel grand after they test drove it and engine noise was normal.

They lubed the gear lever for me :) kinky! but its nice and quiet now thankyouverymuch!

Also they said that if my warranty had ran out, they would still have covered me as they arent too tough on warranty issues, especially if its only within a few months of having expired.

nice one Fiat Ireland! thankyou Barrable Motors :)

Ok, bumped this up as i started it last year (i hate adding needless new posts.)

Bonnet lining is quite white directly under both washers, the washers seem powerful enough but i reckon there is some leaking. is there an easy way to remove the bonnet lining as i almost broke the clips once trying to pry it oput, i really have to check the washer system... Anyone else had washer problems like this???

also whats the best way to clean the engine compartment ither than removing the engine and leaving it soaking in a bath tub filled with vinegar overnight!?!

I have white spots on the lining underneath where the washers are.

A few weeks ago the drivers side washer was barely squirting any water. I prised the clips off and discovered that the plastic pipe had chafed through against the edge of the metal that provides a frame and is welded to the bonnet itself. That edge is really rather sharp so I've put some insulating tape on it and slightly rerouted the pipe.

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to get the clips out.

It's either that or water leaking through the seals on the washer jets where it sits on the bonnet. The warmth from the engine then aides the growth of fungi, and they are the white patches you see. Best thing to do is remove the padding, remove the washer jets, put a small amount of sealant on the bottom of the jet, sit it nice and firm on the bonnet and reassemble - job done!

Back