Technical under dash subwoofer

Currently reading:
Technical under dash subwoofer

bollie69

I own this title
So I found an ancient mini subwoofer with build in amp.
It's only 40w but I think it will make the difference.

It's the folloing module ts-lx40 pioneer

http://bokenasu.oops.jp/junk/lx40/lx40.htm
When you use google chrome you can translate the chinese:devil:
Here you can see all the connections

On another site I found (in polisch, use chrome) a guy who clames to know the scematics
http://www.bmw-klub.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=57918

He clames the power and switched power, as well as the radio feed could go by the round connector. I bought a 8p din 270° male connector, wich connects to the round hole.

If I would use the scematics he posted then I would be able to put a direct feed from the battery and a switched power from the radio.
But... The guy at the electronics store said it wouldn't run 12v in the din connector. It's not capable of doing this.

So I could use the other 2 connectors.
First +12 and -12V
second L+L- and R+R-
If I would do this last, and would be the easyest I wouldn't be able to turn the amp off without a switch or relais. This is a must!

I tried finding scematics of the pioneer but without luck. I don't want to find out the hard way the pinout of the din connector would be wrong.

So basicly I have 2 questions:
First: does anyone know how to hook this sub up correctly?
Second: Can I get a switched power from the car that can handle 40W 3A

Currently I have my radio switched off with the switched power behind the little clock. But I don't beleave this little cable will be able to power the sub.
Second thought is the +12v switched that goes to the electrical antenne.
Or use any of those, in combination with a relais to switch the sub on and off when I switch on egnition or radio.

I will be installing the sub in the area where the airco normally sits. heres plenty of room. Just not the ideal acoustic place. Under the seat wont go, and behind the seats is no option.

Sorry for my jiberisch enlish:devil:

Last edited:
Started on soldering to lay all the needed wires needed for the subwoofer.
I've already done the Rear Right + and -. I will probably use the existing + and - from the back of the radio to power the sub. And the switched for a relais.

Just had a quick peek under the dash. I Really thougt there was enough space there, but actually there isn't. So I will be placing it behind the passenger seat.
Still need to figure out how to mount it up.

Run a new power cable through to the battery. You only need a small one with a fuse inline near the battery.
They sell them on ebay here so im sure its the same where you are.

Did you say that you are using an Aftermarket Pioneer unit. If so then i would imagine your subs switched feed would be acting just as a remote. This tells the amp to turn on and will be the Blue wire on the Head Unit. If not then just bridge off of your power cable with a switch on the dash somewhere.

I don't know the remote imput for the aftermarkt pioneer. Herefor I will be using a small relais to switch the subwoofer on when I turn on my radio.

Since the subwoofer/amp is only 40w, won't it be possible to run it off the 12v power lead on the back of the head unit?
It will only be 3A, so I don't expect it to be a problem. Or will it?

Went to the local electrics shop yesterday and bought for €20 parts

-power cable 5meters
-speaker cable 4meters
-fuse holder + fuse 5A
-Clamps for battery
-releais + holder
-2 connectors to connect to the amp

I've listened to you advice and did run an extra power cable directly from the battery. This is connected to the relais. The relais is powered by the switched cable behind the clock.
A total of 2,5h of soldering, pulling cables and putting it all nice behind trims has worked out perfect.
The amp does its job, not so good as I expected but it's a nice addon to the sound in the car.
As I can say myself, job well done:slayer:

If anyone needs pic's of the subwoofer,the relais or the mess at the battery, I would be happy to take some for you

I got my camera out today to make some alround pictures:

IMG_1672.JPG

This is behind the passenger seat. note the bag to the right is the pingi humidifier.
IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG

IMG_1675.JPG
My new aquired trunkthing
IMG_1677.JPG

A secret swith for the ledlights at front, couldn't take pictures because of the light.
IMG_1678.JPG

numberplate fixing
IMG_1679.JPG

engine compartment
IMG_1680.JPG

wire mess (central locking, subwoofer and ledlights at front)
IMG_1681.JPG

the replacement heatshield off henk (barchettaparts.com) note I removed the resonator
IMG_1682.JPG

problem area, desperatly want to clean this. Any ideas?

I am a little concerned about how thin the power supply is for the active sub, it could depending on the amount of current flowing cause them to burn out - fire risk.

Secondly why not spray the manifold with some kind of paint?
You could even use crackle finish like Ferrari cam covers...

I am a little concerned about how thin the power supply is for the active sub, it could depending on the amount of current flowing cause them to burn out - fire risk.

Secondly why not spray the manifold with some kind of paint?
You could even use crackle finish like Ferrari cam covers...

Well the active sub is only 40w, what is about 3A. The person at the electronics shop told me this was sufficient for the job. I'ts been in the car now for a good week with a 5h run, and had no problems.
I'm sure someone with a bit of electic knowledge can make some calculation how thick the cable actually needs to be.

here how i did daylights leds... i'm not sure, it looks better with main lights off... and this is before xenons

I've been busy today. The new roof is coming next monday so I wanted the softtop frame to look mint again. This was covered with surface rust.
I used a small pensil and BRUNOX, and it turned out like this:

First pic is how it was, the next ones are taken between work.

IMG_1703.JPG

IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1708.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

Last edited:
Back