General My car vibrates when I drive off from cold start (And other stuff)

Currently reading:
General My car vibrates when I drive off from cold start (And other stuff)

Genera

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my post!

Well, I got a Fiat Bravo '97 SX and when I place the car in first gear and drive off, the entire car body shakes. As the car warms up, the vibration from complete halt to motion decreases. I find it really odd! Anyone got a clue as to why?

I've also got some other, small problems with my car.

The other critical problems are stuck front and back wipers. The back wiper does not respond at all, but the front wiper wipes one way up, goes slightly down and gets stuck with noises coming from the motor (its working, but not with enough force). I did some searching on this forum, and it seems as if its a fairly common problem. I did some searching on E-Bay, and looks like there's some motors avalible for the front at least. It is difficult to replace it? I have no experience with car mechanics, but I want to learn. I also bought the Haynes book for the car, does anyone know if its covered there?

Some other strange problems I've got is that the roof is stuck. Pulls back 2 inches and remains stuck. Anyone got experiences with that? Hopefully that too is covered by the Haynes manual..

I have some electrical problems too. I find it really strange. My electrical windows can go be made to go down from only the drivers side. Occasionally the passenger can get it up though. They also go at an ridiculous slow speed, but the speed increases if its only 1 window that go up at a time.

How strange!

So, does anyone have a clue as to what's going on?

In case you didn't want to read my entire post, I'll make a summary (But if you did, big thanks! (y)):

- Car body vibrates when I start off from a cold start.
- Front and back wipers are FUBAR. Front motor works partially.
- Sun roof stuck, only travels 2-3 inches.
- Windows don't work as intended.

Sorry for spelling errors, English is not my first language :)

I think you ought to check your battery too with a multitester - particularly on a cold day - to see if it gives out adequate voltage.

Car body vibrates when I start off from a cold start
I agree with these 2 posts. If you have multimeter check resistance of injectors, too. They are common problem for uneven idling on 1.6.

Problems with windows can be bad earth point. It can be the same point for front wipers, too. Try to find it and check the condition.

Sherlavida, skaramazoo, fiat37: Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated!

I will definetly use a ohm-meter to check my battery and the injects; I assume the location of these and the correct values are described in the Haynes manual? (Also, if anyone needs specific pages from this manual I would be most willing to scan it!)

The earth point will be checked and cleaned! If the earthing cable is at fault, I'll replace that too. (And I guess the location of the contact point and the cable is described in the Haynes manual?)

I am also preparing the car for the winter, and doing a "full service" (Meaning what I am capable of doing my self :D), so I will change the spark plugs, oils and if needed be, my battery!

From the front wiper motor, I can hear that its working but in a way that reveals its not quite strong enough. Guess I'll take a look at it, and if need be replace it (Which I guess I'll have to. Until now, I've just rubbed rain clear fluid on the front window, not quite the optimal solution :eek:)

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Hi Genera. Glad you found everybody's feedback useful.
You might also use graphite powder to dry lubricate all your rubber wiper blades so that they don't squeak while in operation. This may also help reduce friction.
You can also use a brass brush or similar to scrub clean the battery terminals. Once fitted and secured on the working battery you could apply some petroleum jelly around them just to protect them from rusting.

Back