Tuning Fiat 500 Brake Disc Upgrade

Currently reading:
Tuning Fiat 500 Brake Disc Upgrade

Thanks for the advice. (y)

My is 1.4 version. Regarding the groove disc, you mean I have to send the disc to the shop and have it groove? Will that be safe? I mean it will reduce the strength of the disk, right?

Anyway, complete break sets like Brembo is way too expensive for me... (n)

Thanks for the advice. (y)

My is 1.4 version. Regarding the groove disc, you mean I have to send the disc to the shop and have it groove? Will that be safe? I mean it will reduce the strength of the disk, right?

Anyway, complete break sets like Brembo is way too expensive for me... (n)

all you need to do is get some updated discs and pads

Brembo Sport is excellent and affordable

http://www.racepads.co.uk/brembo_sport.htm

Any particular reason?

If you want better braking then better discs and pads will be better value for money

If you want to do it for looks then you'll need calipers, discs and pads which won't be cheap....

Want to improve both the break performance and look :)

I already ask Brembo. They only have the complete set which really cost too much for me.

Anyone know other brand which offer a cheaper-than-Brembo break kit for Fiat 500.

Thank you.

If you're not willing to spend out, just uprating the pads to something like Mintex M1144s is the best you can do really.

You just have to face the fact that uprating brakes is never going to be cheap...

Want to improve both the break performance and look :)

I already ask Brembo. They only have the complete set which really cost too much for me.

Anyone know other brand which offer a cheaper-than-Brembo break kit for Fiat 500.

Thank you.

To be honest I think you're onto a loser if you want to upgrade brakes "for looks" but can't afford the Brembo kit. Abarth brakes are bigger, BUT they're not so big that your brakes are going to get noticed. For dinner plate sized brakes it really needs to be Brembo's.

To be honest I think you're onto a loser if you want to upgrade brakes "for looks" but can't afford the Brembo kit. Abarth brakes are bigger, BUT they're not so big that your brakes are going to get noticed. For dinner plate sized brakes it really needs to be Brembo's.

thought abarth brakes are brembos......

Wilwoods are better anyway (y)

Brembo only standard on the Abarth Ferrari 695 edition, Brembo two piece for Abarth is PN 1A1.3004A - big brakes, big money!

surprised at that, seems just the Abarth Punto has brembos as standard then. the 500 Abarth has 284mm single piston floating callipers.

hmmmm...... What size brakes does the OP have then? 257 or 240? vented/solid?

just thinking about how the brakes are set up, would calipers from another car fit.... :chin: 284mm is pretty common on fiats/alfas... though it all depends how they are attached.

If you want to do it properly, get on ebay and try and get some coupe/166/GTA brembos, then you'll need to get some brackets made.

none of this is really worth the effort though, change of pads as suggested should be more than enough.

Last edited:
No sure size of standard brakes, but most models have solid discs at Front and drum at back, exception is 1.4 that has vented discs at the front and discs at the back.

Standard Abarth has:

• ZPH 4.1.2 floating front calliper, 54mm diameter piston.
  • Ventilated front brake discs, diameter 284 x 22mm.
  • CII 34 floating rear calliper, 34mm diameter piston.
  • 240mm diameter x 11mm rear brake disc.
SS Kit has uprated discs, no mention of caliper change (note discs are same size just "high performance" at the front and vented at the back):

• High-performance perforated, ventilated front brake discs 284mm x 22mm.
  • Perforated rear brake discs 240mm x 11mm.
The Brembo kit is bigger still I think, but from what I have read the SS kit brakes are pretty good in use, even on track days, for not fading out too much.

Suppose on a budget the OP could try to buy some std abarth brakes, they are often for sale from people who bought the SS kit as you get all the old parts back.

No sure size of standard brakes, but most models have solid discs at Front 240mm?) and drum at back, exception is 1.4 that has vented discs at the front and discs at the back.

Standard Abarth has:

• ZPH 4.1.2 floating front calliper, 54mm diameter piston.
  • Ventilated front brake discs, diameter 284 x 22mm.
  • CII 34 floating rear calliper, 34mm diameter piston.
  • 240mm diameter x 11mm rear brake disc.
SS Kit has uprated discs, no mention of caliper change (note discs are same size just "high performance" at the front and vented at the back):

• High-performance perforated, ventilated front brake discs 284mm x 22mm.
  • Perforated rear brake discs 240mm x 11mm.
The Brembo kit is bigger still I think, but from what I have read the SS kit brakes are pretty good in use, even on track days, for not fading out too much.

Suppose on a budget the OP could try to buy some std abarth brakes, they are often for sale from people who bought the SS kit as you get all the old parts back. I would image though the caliper is the wrong size, as the standard is almost certainly 240mm.

You are also assuming that the master cylinder is the same size. And we all know what assumption is don't we.....

Can't remember the company I asked but they said that the Brembo GT upgrade is suitable for the 1.2,1.3,1.4 and Abarth as the master cylinders are the same. Could be wrong though, Brembo do list the kit as being compatible for all 500's though.

Is there any Fiats with larger brakes which could be used? One with similar offsets and mounting for calipers?

The ePer is not much help, I did have a quick look.

The reason for suggesting is on the old pug 306, 406 brembos with 3ltr xantia discs could be used to great effect. (had to change wheels though)

I've done a little over 51000 miles in a 1.4 including dozens of trackdays with many hour and a half plus sessions non stop, 3 nurburgring trips over multiple days and a weekend at Spa. I'm generally quite heavy on brakes too so I've done some experimentation over a two year period. If you want to upgrade your brake performance and you don't want to spend silly money do this:

- Change front discs to EBC turbo groove (quite reasonable value)
- Change front pads to Ferodo 2500 (nope, not cheap but not brembo money either)
- Have the fluid completely flushed through with Castrol SRF (yes, it's expensive at £50 a litre but its worth it)

This is the best combination in terms of value for money. Optionally fit some stainless steel lines.

It took me about half a dozen brake changes to work this out. When I say changes I mean pads, discs, fluids.

Ignore the rear brakes. If you're leaning on them hard enough to be thinking about upgrades then you're leaning on them enough that the real force is happening up front. Stuffing about with the rear isn't worth the hassle. Both EBC greens and Ferodo will ship you pads for the rear that don't fit anyway. They're the right shape but the wrong thickness pads. Don't throw your money away. Just get some solid discs and Pagid rear pads if you need to replace them. But only if you need to replace them. Pagid rear pads and discs will run you about £50. Again, only when needed, the rear doesn't do that much of the braking.

Back