General Punto Evo - Check List

Currently reading:
General Punto Evo - Check List

Blank2k2

Established member
As most of us have had a few minor issues with our evos on collection, I thought putting together a list new users/purchasers can find easily.

This is a list of problem's we've experienced & believe new buyers should keep an eye out for when picking up there new car & when "exploring" there new car.

Items in red are known faults experienced by most

If i've missed any, feel free to post below & i'll add them to the list.

The Check List:

Paint - Preferably before you sign anything.
Cubby hole in middle of dash - Check it opens.
Cubby hole by drivers knee - Check it opens/shuts properly & generally works.

Optional Extras (Only Applicable if included/ordered with car):

Fog Lights - Check they're installed.
Button for fog lights - Check its there
TomTom Blue&Me - Check it connects with the cars Blue&Me System
Ambient Lighting - Check it works, both interior front(not rear) door handles + strip light hidden away in passenger side of dash (Eleganza/Sporting Only, difficult to check unless dark.)

Check for lots of smoke on initial startup of the day as I am having a hell of a problem with a fault on the engine on mine, and been like that since I drove it off the dealer forecourt.

It's a very rare problem, but it exists none-the-less. :(

Factory fitted side skirts and rubbing strips are coming off mine. Been waiting 6 weeks for it to be fixed!

My passenger side rubbing strip came loose too. Seems that they're only glued on with PVA!!

I also had a minute hole in my roof causing me major electrical problems whilst driving and knackering my relay for my towbar too as the water was finding it's way to the electrics in the boot area. Took them 4 days to fix it but I got £100 Fiat Voucher seeing as I caused a stink about it!

I've also noticed water in my Drivers side indicator so it's booked in again! (n)

And the paintwork has no end of chips on it because of the quality of the now waterbased paint. I wouldn't mind the odd one but i'm forever touching the bodywork up. I never had to do that on my old Grande!

Last edited:
I noticed the rubbing strips 3 weeks after getting it and called up as I was still waiting for the replacement center cubby hole and a week later noticed the driver side skirt was a little loose aswell.

Shame I cant edit my original post or i'd add it to the list.

one of my rubbing strips is pulling away a fraction from the bodywork at the moment too, was hoping it'd get worse so i can bring it up with the dealer next time i go there.

So i think this one can become a "Keeping it Perfect? Check before warranty expires" issue.

Check Side Rubbing Strips aren't coming unstuck

I can also now confirm, sadly, that a LHD dash has the same problem as the RHD dash. The coin holder next to the drivers knee on my LHD has now come loose, just like the RHD models.

It seems like quite a poor design really.

So obviously Fiat mirrored their poor design, on both LHD & RHD.

For those who had it replaced, did they need to remove the dash to fix it? In my experience, if a dash is removed and refitted, it's never quite the same again.

I can also now confirm, sadly, that a LHD dash has the same problem as the RHD dash. The coin holder next to the drivers knee on my LHD has now come loose, just like the RHD models.

For those who had it replaced, did they need to remove the dash to fix it? In my experience, if a dash is removed and refitted, it's never quite the same again.

I had the dealer look at mine and after the 3rd time they said they fixed it, one of the Kia mechanics from next door said put a screw in it to hold it all together! Since they have done that, it's fine and i've had no problems with it since.

Such a simple solution! lets just hope Fiat take note!

Nah its a simple quick fix, do it while you wait nothing to worry about.

As well as all the other problems i've had with my Evo Sporting, I took mine to the dealer this morning for water leaking into the O/S side indicator, and they found that it was the front O/S fog light as well! (n) And there was something on the computer they found stopping me from installing the new Blue and me software update!

Oh, and apparantly, my car had some software upgrade to the airbag system which is part of a recall i believe! Dont know if it applies to all Evo's. Loom out for your letter in the post!

the knob/dial for my heating control has snapped off, well i got into the car from 2 weeks away on holiday and it was lying on the floor, had to drive from aberdeen to carlisle in the cold, think i had it set to cool last time i was in the car, its bloody annoying! :mad:

My Punto Evo is with the dealer today it has 2 faults Ventilation fran squeaks on 1st speed , they are going to put a new motor in. 2nd fault i have a squeak coming from the rear of the car, i drove an engineer around in the back of the car trying to find it he thinks it is coming from inside the rear headlining. My car has a complete glass roof so hopefully they will find the noise. I had the problem with the cubby hole down by your knee. Took it back watched the enginner try to fix it but by the time i had got home it had broke again. Took the panel off put two screws in the hinges now the jobs a good one.

My passenger side skirt is coming off 2 clips are broken have been since I picked it up.

Also car that comes with air con standard has no air con!!! Check for button!!!

My passenger side skirt is coming off 2 clips are broken have been since I picked it up.

Also car that comes with air con standard has no air con!!! Check for button!!!

Just to clarify xSianx, was your aircon completely missing or did it turn out to be just the button that was missing like with some peoples fog lights?

Just to clarify xSianx, was your aircon completely missing or did it turn out to be just the button that was missing like with some peoples fog lights?

The button i think is the only bit missing!

Back