General t-jet drive shaft

Currently reading:
General t-jet drive shaft

i had a knock on my front pasenger side, in the t-jet a few months ago, was gutted but managed to get it fully repaired body wise, but last nite i was driving then after a loud bang, only to find my drive shaft has poped out, from the inner cup(gearbox cup) completely shattering the spider. i took it to fiat but they wont fix it on warranty because they say it may have been cause/weaken but the knock i had(one of the machanics came in and said he could tell it had a knock on that side because of certain gaps). and there charging over £2000 for new parts and labour:eek::eek:

SOOO...i rekon if i can fine the parts second hand i can change them myself as i know my way around cars. does anyone know where i can find a complete driveshaft for the t-jet as there different to the regular GPS & M-JETs. ive been trying to reach puntoben as he's stripping a car but he must be busy as he is not replying.

can anyyone help??

the gear box is sound, it still goes in and out of gear smoothly,
also the cup is still in the gearbox, but the shaft has come apart. just where the spider slots into the cup. its as if it isnt going far enough into the cup or somthing, becasue there should be no way it should just pop out like that.

i didnt let them do it as i would have lost 4 years no claims.

Who did the original repair? Must have a guarantee on their work?

What was damaged and replaced? Was the driveshaft touched during the repair and/or refitted correctly with the proper Fiat gaiter clips and not cable-ties?

Surely you can see the coincidence between having an accident that damages the N/S, getting it repaired, then having the N/S driveshaft fall out a few months later? Especially if the Fiat Dealer can see the alignment is wrong (in which case fitting another shaft will see the same issue reoccuring).

How is it Fiat's/the Dealer's fault for someone else's shoddy repair? :confused:

How is it Fiat's/the Dealer's fault for someone else's shoddy repair? :confused:

where did i ever say it was fiats fault for anything!!!????
and who gives you the right to say the work that was done is shoddy???

i know there must be a connection all i said was that fiat were charging over £2000 which, IN MY OPINION is too much.

people need to read and understand the threads before making silly coments and asumtions.

where did i ever say it was fiats fault for anything!!!????
and who gives you the right to say the work that was done is shoddy???

i know there must be a connection all i said was that fiat were charging over £2000 which, IN MY OPINION is too much.

people need to read and understand the threads before making silly coments and asumtions.

I meant to type "How is it Fiat's/the Dealer's fault for charging to correct someone else's shoddy repair?" It was a comment directed in general at the usual slagging of Fiat Dealer's for the prices charged for repairs, like Davismk2's comment- "Sounds like another rip off by fiat", which you agreed with. ;)

"IN MY OPINION", the £2k price for the repair is to change the shaft and correct the issue which made it fall out, which may be a new wishbone/gearbox mounts/subframe/wheel alignment/etc. Not having seen the car, I can't say what it needs, but it's far from a common issue for GP T-jets to spit out driveshafts, so it can't be as simple as just sticking in a new unit. A new shaft and an hours labour or so to fit it would only come to £500 max, so what else is needed?

If you think the body repairers may have caused the fault, why are you looking for a secondhand shaft yourself, rather than kicking off at them and having them chase up the parts and costs? :confused:

Yes, if that's what it costs. The majority of the costs these days is labour, although parts prices have increased over the years. A recon gearbox used to be £300 exchange, whereas now it's a grand plus 3+hrs labour.

What I can say though, is that £2k cost is not just to fit a new driveshaft. ;)

THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS GUYS

LITTLE UPDATE: found out my suspension leg was damaged in the initial accident, so as i was planning to get a set of coilovers in the future, i decided to push it up, so ive got the coilovers on the way in the post.

still anyone know where i can get a complete driveshaft for a t-jet?? as it much larger than a regular GP

My local Fiat dealer wanted £118.50 for a part. My friend who works internally got the part at cost and paid..........£20.96!

£2000 is alot of money.

£2000 is alot of money.

I'm not saying it isn't (it's £200 shy of two months wages for me), but like all things it depends what context it's in.

For example, £2k to supply and fit a new engine is cheap, £2k to do an oil and filter change isn't. :cry:

Anyway, alternative options Re: the shaft- is it shared with another model, eg. MJet? Does it only come complete, or is the tripod joint available seperately?

Back