Technical USB Support

Currently reading:
Technical USB Support

Hi Guys, Quick question hopefully!
I cant see to find any information on USB support I was looking at getting an additional 16GB drive will this work? What size are people using, Also considered using my external HDD with music on 80GB i believe anyone tried?
Also which file system/s are supported FAT/FAT32/NTFS?

And one last question to existing Evo owners, Does the car come with a 12V line installed standard? As ive just seen the smoking kit listed online :(

Don't forget to make sure the files are set as mp3 format. Sounds silly but you'd be amazed by the number of people who try to plug in their Apples and wonder why the mp4 don't work!

I believe that the the biggest USB drive you can use is 16GB. As far as your 80 gb drive goes try it though I don't think it will work. Windows will automatically format this as fat 32 which is what the B&M will read. The files it will read are mp3 and WMA.

As YJ07 said it comes with a standard 12V cigar lighter style power socket next the the gear stick (hell of a place to have it as it always gets in the way of the gear stick).

I believe that the the biggest USB drive you can use is 16GB. As far as your 80 gb drive goes try it though I don't think it will work. Windows will automatically format this as fat 32 which is what the B&M will read. The files it will read are mp3 and WMA.

As YJ07 said it comes with a standard 12V cigar lighter style power socket next the the gear stick (hell of a place to have it as it always gets in the way of the gear stick).
That should be fine, I do have a iPhone but after reading alot of threads saying its hit and miss i may just go ahead and get an extra USB drive for the car. Thanks for the info (y)

Can you play ipod's in the usb port??

Hi Sian! Yes you can although before you required a USB adapter LINK HERE there is a few people reporting by updating Blue & Me function without the adapter, But im personally going to test my iPhone 3GS with the car when it arrives. Ive read new built cars feature a DRM chip which is what the adapter is, The article was referring to the 500 but i would "hope" the Evo has this too. See >HERE<

Read on Fiatforum - iphone adapter redudant

I hope so as £70 is ridiculos, As i say personally id rather have a USB drive in the car a 16GB can be picked up for around £16-17 online (y)

That should be fine, I do have a iPhone but after reading alot of threads saying its hit and miss i may just go ahead and get an extra USB drive for the car. Thanks for the info (y)

Hi Sian! Yes you can although before you required a USB adapter LINK HERE there is a few people reporting by updating Blue & Me function without the adapter, But im personally going to test my iPhone 3GS with the car when it arrives. Ive read new built cars feature a DRM chip which is what the adapter is, The article was referring to the 500 but i would "hope" the Evo has this too. See >HERE<

Read on Fiatforum - iphone adapter redudant

I hope so as £70 is ridiculos, As i say personally id rather have a USB drive in the car a 16GB can be picked up for around £16-17 online (y)

So you have to buy a blue n me adapter for it?? or can you not just plug in a lead?? :confused:

Sorry wasnt very clear! You can just plug in into the cars USB but.. I "did or does" require the adapter but people recently have been using the iPod/iPhone WITHOUT the adapter, But no official word on as to whether the new Evo still requires this so i would suggest waiting till the car comes, I`ll update when mine comes!

Sorry wasnt very clear! You can just plug in into the cars USB but.. I "did or does" require the adapter but people recently have been using the iPod/iPhone WITHOUT the adapter, But no official word on as to whether the new Evo still requires this so i would suggest waiting till the car comes, I`ll update when mine comes!

Ah i see i get it!! Thanks

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you still need the blue & me iPod adapter with the evo, I know cause I had to fork out the £70 to get one for my iPod Touch to work.:cry:

How recently have you purchased? Have you seen the article on the DRM chip? Thanks for the feedback, As I say I think I'd opt for a USB drive, unless there's any other advantage of using my iPhone?

How recently have you purchased? Have you seen the article on the DRM chip? Thanks for the feedback, As I say I think I'd opt for a USB drive, unless there's any other advantage of using my iPhone?
I took delivery of my Evo Sporting in May, not seen the article about the DRM chip however I had read on the Fiat website forum people suggesting that you may not need an adapter with new models, unfortunately though when I got my car it found the iPod was unreadable until I got the adapter, have to say though once the adapter is plugged in my iPod touch works perfectly, far better than with my old 100HP Panda that was fitted with an iPod connection kit.
I’ve never tried plugging in a hard drive to the system as I only use iTunes for my music so I couldn’t help you with that question… sorry

what a rip of! Mind you my dad had same with he's ford he's ipod would only work if it had the ford cable but that was only £20!

There's a nifty little program "BlueMeUSB" that can sort out any problems with music files on your USB stick. Search for it on Google.

Back