Technical Clutch slipping

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch slipping

Hi there,
how can you tell that your clutch is slipping?? Im worried because as soon as I start off first thing in the morning its like the car doesnt move or it hesitates. Is that a sign of the clutch about to go bye bye!

My car only has around 27,000 miles so I dont expect it to go that quickly! I've only had it for the last 2000 miles. The woman who owned it b4 me had the habit of balancing on the clutch!! Thanks

:bang:

Drinu said:
Hi there,
how can you tell that your clutch is slipping?? Im worried because as soon as I start off first thing in the morning its like the car doesnt move or it hesitates. Is that a sign of the clutch about to go bye bye!

My car only has around 27,000 miles so I dont expect it to go that quickly! I've only had it for the last 2000 miles. The woman who owned it b4 me had the habit of balancing on the clutch!! Thanks

:bang:

When you're on the motorway or fast roads, (basically in a high gear) take your foot off the accelerator and then put your foot to the floor. If the revs go up then level off then its probably slipping.

Thanks guys tried it and it seems that it did not slip!! However last time I was stuck in some really heavy traffic with lots of stop and go...and at the end..the clutch sort of lost that 'bite' when you let it go at once!! That is what is worrying me!! Also...when I race the car after a while you can smell the clutch from the outside! I know that is not a good sign!!

Yeah, you either have a cable clutch, or a hydraulic clutch, not both ;)

I think the easiest way to check the clutch adjustment is to look at the height of the clutch pedal compared with the brake pedal. FIAT specify the clutch pedal travel, but I reckon the clutch pedal should be level with, or just below, the brake pedal, for best results.

If the height of the clutch pedal seems to change, then you might have a cable or hydraulic fault. But I think the hesitation that you mention is probably some other cause with the fuel injection... If the clutch was slipping, you'd be feeling it each time you re-engage after changing gears... there would be a sort of smooth 'delay' in the drive...

-Alex

Back