Technical Electric window

Currently reading:
Technical Electric window

jambo

My drivers side electric window on my 1996 55SX has given up the ghost! For a couple of years the window occasionally wouldn't work. It would always be in the closed position (never when it was already open) and when I came to open it nothing happened. A day later, it would be fine, and it would stay that way for months, only happening a couple of times a year, usually in hot weather (typical).

Now the window won't work at all. It was working fine but the next time I came to use it, nothing... I've had the door trim off and had a poke around. Wires, connections are all fine, as is the switch. Power is certainly getting to the regulator and I can hear a relay click when I press the down switch. After about 5 secs there is another click which I think must be some form of thermal cut-out, you can hear it click back in a few seconds later, even without power or the ignition on. Does this suggest something has seized? Could it be mended without having to buy a new unit at £120+ (which I can‘t afford)? Any suggestions?

I was going to take a trip to the local breakers to get a new motor unit and swap it out but I have found that I can't disconnect the glass from the regulator, it needs to be wound half way down to do this. Because its stuck in the closed position I can't even locate the clip! Does anyone know a trick to get the glass down? How do I disconnect the glass with the window up?

Help!!!!!

PS I'm not a learner driver as it says under my name, where'd that come from!?!

a) the "learner driver" thing refers to your posts, when you get above 1k you become a King of the Road, like me ;)

b) yeah sounds like a motor burn out to me... the clip.... pete?? lol :p

Cinqmeister
Alias: BIG BROTHER

http://www.channel9.tk
'94 Cinquecento Basica (USA Spec) 0,9l

55sxJim - Do you mean me?

The clip is just a plstic plug that goes through a hole in the bottom of the glass, with the card off you should be able to get to it. It may mean destroying the clip and replacing with a new one though.
Once the clip is uncliped, undo the bolts holding the window motor/regulator in place and swing it to one side. Remember that the glass will fall down inside the door so short of taking the door off the hinges (don't) you will have to secure the glass (sellotape it each side and over the top of the door).
Remove the motor unit and unclip the power supply. Refit new motor.

Good 'un Evil. Got a dodgy window myself. Looks like a new motor unit ! Can the rack/gear? be replaced if the motor is ok ?(grunts and needs manual pull-up at a few points to continue the closure - opens down ok.). Also can the window guides? be lubricated to ease the motor/gear force reqd. to raise the window ?
Removed door panel and found area wet around motor/connector cable. Looks like window/seal leakage ? Maybe Jambo had an intermittent short due to water lodging there. Worth a check after rain or carwash - to protect new motor ![?]

I have never looked at the linkage to be honest, I would be surprised if the motor can't be removed on its own.
It sounds like its catching in the runners, you could use grease (don't use light oil like 3 in 1 or WD40 because it won't last) but I recommend you use graphite lubricant, it makes a f**kin terrible mess but works a treat. Lube the runners from top to bottom and operate the window a few times to wear it in.
While you are there you could lube the actuator and the motor drive shafts.

Water in the door isn't a good idea (internal rust), it means the lower edge window seal has perished (goes hard and doesn't sit on the window), simple to replace, just pull the old one out and push the new one in.

I would be surprised if its a short, the plugs are designed to combat this, even submerged the voltage is too low to travel the distance.

You can also check to see if the guides are worn, ride the window half way up and try and move it from front (of the car) to the back. if you have movement the guide will bind on the way up but not down.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions. Frustrated with the heat and the lack of an opening window a sharp thump on the door card around the area where the motor is has made it work again!!

I ought to try and replace the unit now whilst I can get the glass down and do it the easy way, but I'm sure if I leave it another six months the problem will reoccur.[8D]

Thanks again Evil. Sorry to butt in on your query, Jambo. Hope motor fit goes well. Love to know.
Great, helpful site, fellas.

Back