General DRL install

Currently reading:
General DRL install

Finally got round to fitting some Day Time Running Lamp's to dad's Panda to save him always running about with the headlamps on (personal choice). :)

Photo was taken from about 1/4 of a mile away, used the long zoom on my new camera though, probably would have been better effect not to have used the zoom to show their effectiveness.

DSCF0406.JPG

Hmm, not really getting the point of these.

If it's dull or raining, put sidelights on, if it's dark/wet dipped beam.

If it's bright, then no lights. Not sure why you'd need these really. Mind you I think the standard foglights are entirely pointless.

Or just use dipped beams. I've yet to come across a situation other than parking at night where 5 watt side lights are visible before the rest of the car.

Special idiot points are awarded to those who drive on side lights in fog, but I digress.

Buy a decent set of headlight bulbs and be done with it, IMHO I think they look tacky, but if everyone had the same opinion and taste life would be dull

Or just use dipped beams. I've yet to come across a situation other than parking at night where 5 watt side lights are visible before the rest of the car.

Special idiot points are awarded to those who drive on side lights in fog, but I digress.
Agree. Not quite sure why people put sidelights on at all other than for parking. They really are useless.

When I had my 406 which was green I always drove around with my dipped beams on as the car tended to be invisible in the countryside. Ditto with the wifes green Subaru. On my 500 which is white I just drive around with the DRL's in summer and in winter dipped beams.

not really into the whole drl thing. i can kind of see the point in them as they are bright and make you aware of the car but i reckon they need to be incorporated into the body or lights myself.

the top section of the panda headlights is where i reckon they should be installed. wether or not you could get to that bit though i dunno

I tend to use dipped headlights when it's not sunny. I find it unbelievable the number of people who choose not to use lights in conditions that clearly require them. And agree that parking / side lights are totally useless for being seen.

Not sure about the positioning of the DRLs on your dad's Panda though, Jon. I'd prefer to have them closer in line with the headlamps than their more centralised placement, but that's just my personal taste. It's like my preference for cars whose indicators are the outermost light, as opposed to those with indicators to the inside of the headlights.

It's like my preference for cars whose indicators are the outermost light, as opposed to those with indicators to the inside of the headlights.

I agree with your there. Modern light clusters that have the headlamps and indicators together are a pet hate of mine. At night time, the glare from the headlamps often hides the indicator. If you can't see the side-repeater, it's very annoying.

Part of me likes DRL - it's amazing how many times my car seems to be invisible to other motorists. The other half of me thinks that they are aimed at drivers who never consider using their dipped beam in dull conditions. If everyone had them, you would need sunglasses to drive anywhere!

I first came across DRLs when in Sweden over 30 years ago. I was told it was compulsory over there (hence Volvos having them). Seemingly the safety bods had done some research & proven their effectiveness.
I noticed their effectiveness on a long, straight road, whilst waiting to turn out from a junction, it was far easier to spot a point of light than the car, especially as the sun was partly in my eyes.

There is an argument against them because they increase fuel usage - they might if you use fogs or sides but the current drain from a couple of dozen LEDs is negligable.
I think one of the downsides is that overkill can become very distracting - it is quite easy to allow your eyes to follow the light - something that drivers need to be especially aware of at night but also during the day with the very bright clusters of LEDs

I agree with your there. Modern light clusters that have the headlamps and indicators together are a pet hate of mine. At night time, the glare from the headlamps often hides the indicator. If you can't see the side-repeater, it's very annoying.
!

Yep, same here. The 'waste' light does negate the indicator in many cases, you don't realise the indicator is flashing until a certain point during the turn. I really cannot see why manufacturers insist on making light clusters - surely it would be easier to have/use LEDs - you can buy clusters of LEDs in a variety of shapes, or why not have a short rope of LEDs along the front and back - perhaps a 12" rope either side with part of this wrapped around to the wing to provide indication when coming out of side turnings?
Same perhaps with rear lights as some companies like to design rear light clusters as if they are part of a sci-fi convention.
It would also solve the age-old problem of people driving around with defective lights.

Wow, not been on properly in a few days and look at the replys :p :)

Looking good! Which ones did you use as I quite fancy a set? (y)

Thanks, went for the RING BRL0397's, 'E' marked to DRL standards and come with an autoswitching unit.

Got them on the Panda and my Stilo and really pleased with them. £75 in Halfrauds, but about £40 new delivered if you keep an eye out on ebay (y)

Hmm, not really getting the point of these.

If it's bright, then no lights. Not sure why you'd need these really. Mind you I think the standard foglights are entirely pointless.

Dull or raining and the headlamps are on (y)

These are for use in daylight, conditions such as low sun behind you dazzling people coming towards you and in forestry etc.

With you 110% there! Gets on my nurves. Think parking lamps shouldn't be operable with the engine running. Dipped beam or nothing IMO.

Buy a decent set of headlight bulbs and be done with it

And Have 140watt of power drain rather than 7-10watts :rolleyes: :confused:

And the added issue of going through headlamp bulbs more often. Not very practicle.

Not sure about the positioning of the DRLs on your dad's Panda though, Jon. I'd prefer to have them closer in line with the headlamps than their more centralised placement, but that's just my personal taste. It's like my preference for cars whose indicators are the outermost light, as opposed to those with indicators to the inside of the headlights.

I agree, possitioning isn't the best asthetically, but localtion was best suit for fixing/mounting without modifying the car :)

Standard fit ones such as on Audis just shout 'look at me, look, look, I've got an Audi'.

At least you see them ;)

As for the Pro's / Con's arguement, I done an extensive research project into it for uni, and in short pro's outweigh the con's, and only a few of the con's they're always banging on about have any leg to stand on. (but then some may say that I would say that being a person for DRL's?)

Some interesting points on here... http://www.dadrl.org.uk/

The tards who publish that site in frontpage don't know what they're focking on about. Tbh I think LED DRL's give too much glare, but the ones in the 500 are definitely NOT going to blind you and are loads better than the sidelights which people stupidly drive around with. Sure there's a balance to be struck between glare and visibility but DRL's are firmly on the safe side :)

The guy who runs this site is clearly a moron.....
http://www.dadrl.org.uk/volvocars.html
Nick Griffin supports him too (y) Perhaps I should vote for Nick and when he gets in power he can send me back to Australia. Frigging moron. Every lefty/righty moron who would gladly suck donkey dick for half a vote seems to support him as well :ROFLMAO:
http://www.dadrl.org.uk/quotes.html

Last edited:
Dave - That's the problem with the 100HP. There are no obvious locations apart from above the number plate, but here they would be too close together. Can you get some small round DRLs that could go where the front fogs are?

you can get bendy strips from halfords i think but i dont reckon they would curl around the foglight opening easily.

you can get foglamps with drls built into them which look alright:(

what does dadrl stand for?

damn all day time runing lights?

destroy all day time runing lights

daves ass destroys real love? (i dont know why)

Back