Technical 'Pulsating' Lights

Currently reading:
Technical 'Pulsating' Lights

malagaman

I'll try and keep this brief. Just replaced power steering pump on my 2003 1.9JTD (pig of a job-drive shaft out, alternator off just to see the pump!!)
All back together, didn't cure the noise which we thought was play in the pump and now have pulsating lights (exterior and interior) which doesn't change with the speed of the engine. Suggested we change the drive belt and tensioner as it may have been slipping on the alternator pulley, did that and cured the noise but lights still pulsate and it's like driving a mobile disco!!
Next step was to remove several fuses one by one but no difference now thought to be regulator (built into alternator). Am I just extremely unlucky and somehow 'damaged' the alternator in removing it or are there any suggestions as to what the cause might be. I would have thought the rate of pulsating would change with engine revs if the regulator was shot? Thanks

Confused by this because even if the regulator or alternator is shot the battery is there and smooths the juice for the lights regardless. Can you elaborate what you mean by pulsating. Only one thing occurs, are the earths good? engine to chasis, lights etc.

Confused by this because even if the regulator or alternator is shot the battery is there and smooths the juice for the lights regardless. Can you elaborate what you mean by pulsating. Only one thing occurs, are the earths good? engine to chasis, lights etc.

Confused, you and me both :confused:. I think you may be right about the earth as today I was told the same thing via a friend in the UK who had spoken to an auto electrician. I will have to check the mountings on the alternator as it is earthed through those to the engine. As for the defenition of pulsating, they dim and brighten about every second and even the electric windows are slightly jerky on operation and it's the entire electrical system affected.

Have had the same problem for about two years! Nothing has as yet fixed it,but i live in hope!:eek:

Have had the same problem for about two years! Nothing has as yet fixed it,but i live in hope!:eek:
Still pulsating and the Doblo still going strong at 160K.
Just had a drive shaft break as I left a set of traffic lights. Being replaced tomorrow.

Definitely alternator related.

My Jaguar does this when the battery is totally flat and has been jumped off a spare (I have to reverse it in the lock up and the battery is in the boot, so no choice but to jump it).

The alternator is providing all the juice for the electrical system and it is alternating current, which "cycles" + & - if you like. The regulator is supposed to balance this out.

My guess is either you have a poor earth as suggested, a poor + contact or have somehow damaged the alternator and the regulator isn't balancing out the cycle

You need an amp meter to see what the output is and a volt meter to see what the voltage is doing.

It could be you may have spilled some PAS fluid inside the alternator, they don't like that :eek:

Back