Technical Drive Shaft Problem (2004 8v)

Currently reading:
Technical Drive Shaft Problem (2004 8v)

Hello all, I will start by saying I am not a practical person so please bear with any 'thingys' or 'that oily bit'.

A bit of background-

When my 2004 Mk2 Active Sport was lowered on Eibach springs and Janspeed dampers 5 weeks ago the outer CV boot was damaged on the n/s. Instead of orderering a replacement boot I ordered a whole new drive shaft.

Im not quite sure why I bought a whole shaft other than the car was 6 years old and I thought rather than mess around mending old parts I would just pay a bit extra for a new part. I paid £110 and I had to give the old drive shaft in return.

Anyway yesterday on my way to work I was half way round a roundabout when there was a huge bang. I stopped on the side of the roundabout and after looking under the car I could see the clip that holds the inner CV boot had come loose and grease was everywhere. I moved the car 20 yards at walking pace and palked it and got a lift to work.

During work time I stole a pool car and went back to the shop where I bought the driveshaft from only 5 weeks earlier. They said it was probably just a faulty drive shaft. I paid for a another replacement and they said when I bring the damaged drive shaft back they will give me a refund.

So 5 o clock comes round and I had rang the AA to meet me at the Punto and a very nice AA man recovered my car home. A mechanic friend of mine removed the damaged drive shaft which was fcuked (excuse my language). I am not practical but I will try to explain what I saw:

2 of the 3 heads that are inside the inner CV boot that hold the roller bearings were completely detroyed with no bearings and the bigger washer thing (sorry again) was missing.

Anyway a mate of fine fitted the new shaft and first thing he said was "the shaft doesn't seem long enough". It fitted it to the gearbox perfectly- right upto the collar. However where the head with the bearings etc sits inside the inner CV boot it appeared to be right on the edge of the cup it sits in. We moved the car about 5 yards and the driveshaft made the same bang as before and what I would describe as the drive shaft slipped round within the cup.

We were racking our brians trying to think of reasons why it would do this.

The drive shaft fits inside the gear box fine. It can only go in as far as the collar so it can't be too far in. The other end of the drive shaft bolts to a fixed place so how can the shaft suddenly not be long enough?

These parts have both been bought from a local motor factors. I have ordered a second hand genuine part in the optimistic hope there is something wrong with the parts I am being supplied but I can't believe that is the case if im honest.

The gear box seems perfect still. In fact its the best Mk2 gear box I have ever driven (you know how crunchy some get).

Any ideas people?

I appreciate lowering a car can effect things but we are talking about 45mm Eibach springs not a huge drop on coilovers. Plus I am 27 years old and commut 25 miles a day to work of which 20 miles is motorway journey. I am a spirited driver now and then but I am not Touring Car Driver or Rally Champion.

A few years ago before mortgages etc I have had huge drops and 17" alloys on Mk2 Punto's and never had any such issues. Especially not after 5 weeks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Its not your fault the supplier gave you the wrong part.

Take it back again and tell them you want the correct drive shaft for your car. Pay no more money.
They should be asking for the VIN number to check the parts system. If they dont check it out do not accept yet another part that will simply break. How can they or anyone else know the correct part is being supplied if they dont check.

Last edited:
So you think it sounds like its the wrong part?

The only thing that makes me think it is more of an issue is the fact the first shaft lasted 5 weeks but the new couldn't even drive 30 seconds down the road :(

Both the replacement parts were the same part number.

Is there anything which could off killed the first shaft after 5 weeks and is causing the second one to jump straight away?

I have ordered a second hand OEM Fiat shaft from Ebay to see if the result is different.

Without seeing the parts side by side who knows but its likely. The eBay OEM part is a good idea. If the part was supplied wrong it gives you evidence.

Just a thought - See if the patten part have the same extended length as the OEM? If it does not stretch as far it might be ok on standard suspension but fail on a lowered car.

Without seeing the parts side by side who knows but its likely. The eBay OEM part is a good idea. If the part was supplied wrong it gives you evidence.

Just a thought - See if the patten part have the same extended length as the OEM? If it does not stretch as far it might be ok on standard suspension but fail on a lowered car.

They did give you the right side didn't they?

Fair point (y)

Well I ordered the OEM part from Ebay last night and it was listed as 24 hour parcelforce delivery so fingers crossed it turns up tomorrow and investigations can start.

Back