Technical Uno wrecking!

Currently reading:
Technical Uno wrecking!

Hearing about the mythical "Uno Wrecking Crew" and their ability to tear a Uno into tiny parts in a short space of time, none other than Ucof called upon their services to dismantle a Uno parts car belonging to his dad. The unsuspecting Uno MOT failure had occasionally donated the odd part here and there when needed, but now the wreckers truck was imminent and the drive space was needed. It was time to tear it down into component parts so that other Unos could live on too.

Mon April 26th was to be the date of the sacrifice. Ucof and his friend made the trip from Wales to his dad's place in North West London and the infamous Uno wrecking crew, aka Jai and Chas, arrived to tear the Uno down to a bare shell. Pictures tell a thousand words, so here goes:

By the time someone had thought of taking a picture the doors, engine, gearbox, suspension etc. had already been taken out!

mk2_Uno_tear_down_001.jpg

Back seat being used as an engine rest :rolleyes:

mk2_Uno_tear_down_002.jpg

The collection of spare parts was growing all the time:

mk2_Uno_tear_down_003.jpg

Not much left:

mk2_Uno_tear_down_004.jpg

There used to be a rear beam and suspension up there:

mk2_Uno_tear_down_005.jpg

We were wondering if we'd missed anything! :p

mk2_Uno_tear_down_006.jpg

No, we didn't forget the cables. I think we left the brake pipes behind though ;)

mk2_Uno_tear_down_007.jpg

The Uno Wrecking Crew have the power to levitate a Uno shell before your very eyes! :p

mk2_Uno_tear_down_008.jpg

Some of the parts collection:

mk2_Uno_tear_down_009.jpg

Notice the bizarre wrecking crew ritual of synchronised head butting, as can be seen through the 'V' of the tree and through the back of the Uno:

mk2_Uno_tear_down_010.jpg

Attempt at an arty shot. The cup of tea on the roof kind of spoils the effect though:

mk2_Uno_tear_down_011.jpg

999cc FIRE giving up a load of parts:

mk2_Uno_tear_down_012.jpg

Every wondered what a 999cc FIRE looks like with its sump removed? Well, now you know:

mk2_Uno_tear_down_013.jpg

Mmmmm, rear beam axle!

mk2_Uno_tear_down_014.jpg

Another attempt at an arty shot. Man in blue overalls punching himself in the face kind of detracts from the desired effect:

mk2_Uno_tear_down_015.jpg

Uno with its guts spread all over the drive:

mk2_Uno_tear_down_016.jpg

Job done!

mk2_Uno_tear_down_017.jpg

Just to stop the neighbours from complaining, we threw a camo cover over the remains to hide it from view.

mk2_Uno_tear_down_018.jpg

Unfortunately before we did this the neighbours had already complained. One of them had called the Police about a group of strange men dismantling a car, in broad daylight, in a private driveway and in view of a busy road. These strange men had also been making obvious noise, drinking cups of tea and clearly weren't acting shifty or trying to hide from onlookers. So when three Police cars turned up it all looked a bit comical.

"Erm, good afternoon gentlemen. Do you live here?", said the Policeman.

Ucof explains, "It's my dad's house. I live in Wales."

The rest of us explain we are here as the Uno Wrecking Crew. Jai had actually left the scene barely 20 minutes earlier, which might have been even more comical as he's a copper himself.

"Whose car is this?" asks PC Plod.

"It's my dad's car and we're stripping it for parts" says Ucof.

PC Plod asks if the owner of the house is around. Mr. Ucof is summoned who again explains that all is legimate, that we're not thieving Pikeys but that we are indeed mad to warrant all this time pulling apart an old Uno. PC Plod is suitably satisfied, apologises for disturbing us and says he was merely responding to a concerned call from a neighbour. He and the SWAT team bid as farewell and leave us to clear up the mess of parts strewn all over the place.

The joys of Uno ownership eh? Certified insane for owning a rusty old Italian car, self inflicted wounds from pulling one apart and then having to explain to a Policeman that we shouldn't be locked up for dismantling a car to make other Unos live. Never a dull moment!

The joys of Uno ownership eh? Certified insane for owning a rusty old Italian car, self inflicted wounds from pulling one apart and then having to explain to a Policeman that we shouldn't be locked up for dismantling a car to make other Unos live. Never a dull moment!

Thanks for your commitment to the cause :)

It is a little bizarre that dismantling a car of such obvious low value would be worthy of police attention, but I guess we should be thankful that the neighbours were vigilant.

It is also funny to think of you and Ucof as 'strange men' since (amazingly enough) I have met both of you separately and I can't imagine the pair of you to be very frightening, not like a group of fully-tanked chavs in hoodies on Manchester streets, throwing bottles :D

I was, however, horrified that you didn't salvage the interior trim, even the rear shelf is still there :eek: ;)

I liked all the arty shots, particularly the head-banging and the punch-in-the-face which is otherwise known as 'using a mobile phone'.

I do like the round, rubber-ringed axle stands as well - one of them is even red. I notice the rubber parts come in different sizes and patterns.

Nice to see some greenery around, and the 'camo cover' is very clever, never seen one before!

So what happens to all these engine and suspension parts? Please don't say they're going in Jai's shed...!

-Alex

Last edited:
Good work man, I tried getting some parts for my MK2 from the scrapyard today... apparently the little pipe between the manifold and airfilter box and the driver's side sun visor thingy are chickenteeth... so I'm still without the piece of pipe.

Glad to see you'll make someone else over there happy.

Good work man, I tried getting some parts for my MK2 from the scrapyard today... apparently the little pipe between the manifold and airfilter box and the driver's side sun visor thingy are chickenteeth... so I'm still without the piece of pipe.

Glad to see you'll make someone else over there happy.

The metal foil pipe between the airbox and exhaust manifold can be bought from any motor factors. It is just some corrugated aluminium foil pipe, nothing fancy ;)

Never thought the Uno sun visors were as rare as chicken teeth! I'm sure I've got a load of black visors in my loft somewhere, amongst the zillion other Uno spares I've amassed over the years :eek:

As for making someone happy (other than the neighbours :rolleyes: ), most of the parts were for Ucof, and myself and Jai grabbed a few bits we needed too. With the youngest Unos being around 15 years old, finding parts for them in scrapyards is becoming almost impossible. Therefore when you have one as a parts car, you take off EVERYTHING that might be useful at some point in time in the future (y)

It is a little bizarre that dismantling a car of such obvious low value would be worthy of police attention, but I guess we should be thankful that the neighbours were vigilant.

I think it was more to do with "Mrs. Bucket" type neighbours taking offence to old cars being dismantled instead of nice shiny BMWs and Mercs being on display. Mind, you Ucofs dad has something like 3 or 4 Jaguars/ Daimlers!

It is also funny to think of you and Ucof as 'strange men' since (amazingly enough) I have met both of you separately and I can't imagine the pair of you to be very frightening, not like a group of fully-tanked chavs in hoodies on Manchester streets, throwing bottles :D

We like old Unos therefore we are definitely strange in the eyes of most people ;)

I was, however, horrified that you didn't salvage the interior trim, even the rear shelf is still there :eek: ;)

The shelf was in poor condition plus we're all running out of room! Don't forget as well that this was a base model Uno with the most basic trim level. The seats weren't in that good condition (the driver's seat was worn/ torn) but Jai did manage to get the headrests from them. Sod unclipping the seat cover and at the base and then wiggling your hand around inside, just get a Stanley knife and slice through the material until you find the clips :devil:

I liked all the arty shots, particularly the head-banging and the punch-in-the-face which is otherwise known as 'using a mobile phone'.

He was punching himself in the face I tell you!

I do like the round, rubber-ringed axle stands as well - one of them is even red. I notice the rubber parts come in different sizes and patterns.

One word - "improvisation" ;)

Nice to see some greenery around, and the 'camo cover' is very clever, never seen one before!

That's because it's camouflaged so you won't see it - like, DUH! :p

So what happens to all these engine and suspension parts? Please don't say they're going in Jai's shed...!

They're going in Jai's... Nah,only joking! Ucof wanted the majority of the parts as spares for his "Ucofmobile". Jai took the front seat headrests and the front cross-member. I took some bits and pieces but can't remember what they were, other than the two rust free rear doors. :eek: Oh yes, I did bag a cheap Casio digital watch found under the rear seat!

I ought to do an inventory of all my Uno spares one day but I think it would scare me to see the length of the list! Even today I was hunting down the set of Uno Turbo front springs I knew I had somewhere. I found them in the back of the 45S and I also found that one pair were already assembled onto a reasonable looking pair of Boge front struts. A bit annoying as I'd just bought a brand new set of Boge front struts off Ebay only the other week :rolleyes: Then again, they only cost me 22 pounds INCLUDING DELIVERY! Bargain (y)

I now have three sets of brand new front struts and only one pair of new rear shocks. Oh, and I have two new sets of lowering springs too. I think I've gone overboard with it all a bit lately! Mind you, I do have three Unos, two which are going to be uprated so I'll probably use them all eventually :)

Quote of the day:

"Life with a Uno keeps you occupied."

:spin:

Awesomeness.

:D

Cheers for doing this, and even more thanks for helping out, and politely removing all the random crap that I said "oooooh... that might be useful" to! ;)

Chas, are you selling some fire parts?

I'd need a couple if you do...

Oh, and do you mail those out?

Hi

This is a long shot, but I am looking for a pair of Fiat 1301 UNO Turbo front brake calliper carriers.

I have the brake callipers and a wife who cleaned up for me.

I still have a wife, but no carriers!

Can you assist?

Thank You

Geoff P

Back