General Legality of rear seat removal

Currently reading:
General Legality of rear seat removal

my friend did this in his clio and it dropped his insurance by 200 and thier reason was that in the event of an accident its less people claiming for whip lash, also make sure you notify the dvla that you have done it and they will change the logbook to a 2 seater and then it gets around the mot cos when it comes to mot time if you get an anal mot guy and the log book says 4 seater it WILL fail unless you take seats out but leave the belts in then it will pass, i know stupid rule but i didn't make it

I think you can re-register it as a 2 seater but not as a commercial van. This came up here in Dublin and I think its an EU regulation..but I may be wrong.

You can only legally turn a car into a van by destroying the rear seats, rear seat mountings, window glass and seatbelt anchors and seal the window openings. The vehicle will then need to be officially inspected to make sure this has all been done. The aim is to ensure the new van can never be re-converted to a car.

This is how car vans are converted by either manufacturers or some importers. Reasons are fairly simple..commercial vehicles have lower road tax / insurance and governments don't want scallywags taking the **** by buying cheap vans and converting them.

Last edited:
cool! i might just wack the rear seats out that i never use if it will save me insurance. i thought it would but never knew anyone who had done it!. get some sound proofing first its horrible without the parcel shelf in nevermind seats haha. oooorrr a exhaust then i wouldnt care

Back seats are for pimps. Real men ride rough and loud :D.

I've never noticed any decrease in insurance removing the back seats. Technically it's a mod so therefor will increase your policy (may be worth checking with underwriters but i've always declared only 2 seats).

Thanks

I'm planning to sound deaden and also fit a false floor to level the rear. I think in the 2yrs+ I've owned the Sei, I've only ever had 2 people in the back and have flattened the rear out more times than I care to mention to carry loads. Plus this way, it means I can tidy away jumper cables, washer fluid, amps, etc under the false floor and have tons of space for when Carrie wants to go shoe shopping :p

Actually back seats are for people who have friends.

I hate driving a car with the rear shelf removed because of the noise I'd have to think what it would be like with nothing there

Think ur just getting a bit older :p :p :p

One of my cinq got everything removed at the back. Is not nice for a distance drive! But we it was built for a purpose so don't really care abou the noise.

Ming

Actually back seats are for people who have friends.

Unfortunatly my friends don't want to get into something that looks "gay" :D. Infact they don't want to get into it because it's a fiat.

It's all I get off some of my friends all the usual "why have you done that to a fiat", or "it's a peice of crap, it will break down in about point 1". Suppose technically the second is true but I love the thing :D.

Thanks

My car passed its mot twice with no rear seats. They just said on the certificate:

"Rear seats removed at time of test"...

It is loud with them removed - a false floor is a must if its long term and use for long journeys. also - make sure you put all the bolts back in - otherwise the threads get rusty!

aye a false floor and more bags of foam in the sides and boot. then some dyno mat extreem haha. think i might do it! and do a install while im ther!.

as for selling the car. i dont think i will. and if i do it will be for parts its so worth more that way!

Back