Styling Impact Black Mk2 progress thread

Currently reading:
Styling Impact Black Mk2 progress thread

Well everyone else was doing a progress thread so i thought i'd start my own. Quite happy with what i've done so far, especially considering i managed to get ripped off on the lowest spec Punto on the line.
So, i bought it last year for £1,500 from a small business garage place. Came completely standard but i loved the thing to bits.

First bought:
photo.jpg
What have i done so far?
The order (to what i can remember) of all the bits and pieces i have added and taken away.

• Within the first month i got really bored of the dual dial instrument cluster that comes on low spec Punto's, so i swapped that with one i found on eBay.
    photo 5.jpg
  • Next i thought i'd upgrade my standard tape player/radio for an aftermarket headunit. The AUX input is the only thing that works on the thing, but i'm still happily using it. Its a Sonichi S7000 from Halfords, and is terrible. It doesn't even fit into the hole correctly!
  • After getting a terrible radio, i thought i'd treat myself to some good speakers to listen to my drum and bass with (Do not judge me!). I opted for some Kenwoods i found on BassJukies. They're not the best in the world, but thats becuase i haven't amped them yet

After a few months of being happy with my little Punto, some guy went straight into the side of it as he pulled out of a junction. He didn't see me, went into the front left wing. This caused me to lose control of the car and mount the pavement - missing a mother and her two children by inches. I did manage to steer it back on the road where i checked if they were okay. They were obviously in shock, but were fine. Long story short, the guy admitted liability and i got a crap job done at a car repair shop where they used terrible non genuine parts.
  • After reading a lot of reviews on this website, my next step was to splash some cash on a Focus Induction kit. Got one for £30 off here as a spur of the moment purchase and haven't regreted it since
    photo 2.jpg

Second accident occured and was my fault. A woman was pulling out of a junction and i was behind her. She started to pull away so i decided to start looking. We were turning left so i didn't bother to look left for any on coming traffic (stupidly). I began moving off and turned around to see the woman stopped in the middle of the road because she stalled. Got out and looked at the damage. My car had a completely smashed bumper (remember the none genuine parts from the insurance people?) and her car had a hairline crack in her read bumper. At the time she said she thought her car was broken, blah blah blah. She tried to sue me for whiplash as well, even though it was a 10 MPH accident.
    photo3.jpg
  • After the second accident i thought i'd take the opportunity to colour code my bumpers. I read on here that MK2b rears fit onto the Mk2, so i got one of those and a front sporting off eBay and got them colour coded at the body shop of my choice. The guy repaired all the damage and sprayed and fitted the bumpers for me. I won't tell you the price because i believe i got a little bit ripped off here as well
    photo (2).jpg
    photo2.jpg
  • Got some Aero Wipers. 'nuff said.
  • The most pain in the ball sack mod i've done so far up next - Remote Central Locking. As my car is a Mia, it had no central locking what so ever. I had to fit EVERYTHING. After religiously reading guides on here, i got the confidence to fit it. Took me 3 FULL days to get it right and a hell of a lot of swear words and garage door kicking. I even had to get my brothers friend (auto electrician) to take a look cause it pissed me off so much. He did it within 45 minutes:bang:
  • Got some Philips X-Treme power bulbs. 'nuff said.
So, those (i think) are all of the mods i've done so far. Got lots more planned which i'll list below becuase i have nothing better to do tonight!

• Sporting alloys (in transit)
  • Electric windows (using original Punto regulators and looms etc. None of that aftermarket eBay crap)
  • Sporting steering wheel
  • Some sort of engine mods (still not yet decided). Thinking of going Turbo (yeah yeah i know it's a lot of work) because i think my car has a lot of sentimental value. I couldn't bring myself to sell it for a better one. It's also less fun!
  • Sub and Amp (Brother is lending me his when hes off to Afghan)
  • Spray interior black and silver
  • Spray engine bay with... some colours?
More to come when i think of it.
Meanwhile, heres some pictures of my car as it is now:
IMG_0145.JPG
IMG_0146.JPG
IMG_0147.JPG
IMG_0148.JPG
IMG_0149.JPG

Let me know what you guys think:D

Whiplash injuries happen more at low speeds because the body automatically tries to react and does more harm. At medium speeds there's no time for reactions so funnily enough injuries often not as bad as expected. High speeds - it doesn't matter anyway.

Get under the car where the dodgy parts were fitted and spray everything with chain saw oil thinned with white spirit. The stuff is an amazing anti rust coating and soaks into joints better than Waxoyl. It cleans off with Gunk engine cleaner.

With more driving experience you'll learn to spot the to$$ers and avoid them.

Painting engine bay will look horrible unless you first take everything out and clean it properly. Then there's the risk it hasn't gone back right (electric door locks? - nuff said?).
Engine parts and mountings can be stove enamelled for the best finish and durability. Low costs and looks fab.

Don't forget to keep it regularly checked and properly serviced especially oil and coolant.
Brakes also out of sight out of mind and often skimped.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply man
The thing about the woman is, she is also fronting her insurance. The passenger (daughter) also claimed 2 injuries and i even saw them walking down my road a week later. The mother picked up the kid and put her on a wall so she could walk along it.
ANYWAY, thats past me now. I didn't get sued in the end

I was thinking of sealing the whole of the bottom of my car with anti-rust stuff anyway. I got an advisory about minor rust on the underside of the car, but its sort of on the back of my mind. Not the best idea?

Sorry, i was meant to say i would be painting the cam cover and engine mounts etc. Not the whole engine bay (a bit misleading). But thats not really a priority at the moment. Not sure im even gonna do it yet

Cam cover stoved in high shine silver would look fantastic. Do the engine mounts (and other smaller brackets in satin black stove or powder coat. IMHO shiny can be too much but if everything's done shiny might be ok.

The engine bay its self can be cleaned down with gunk and hosed off. But don't use a pressure washer. Just keep gunking and hosing every time the car is washed.

The woman was obviously taking the pi$$ and maybe did have a sore neck, but she should learn to drive too. Great that you saw her playing with the kid like nothing happened.

Underneath you need to get the car up on axle stands and scrape off any dodgy underseal and do any repairs before recoating it. My car is a similar age and its starting to flake off in places.

Waxoyl has always been good . See http://www.waxoyl.com/en/produkte/ It looks like Finnigan's have been bought out by a Swiss company and there's a bigger product range than I remembered.

Alternatively http://www.rustmaster.co.uk/?gclid=CKuOgsqP2qECFRUslAodCWmqJw
They will have the equipment to do a really good job and could be cheap insurance especially if (as) there have been any insurance repairs.

Last edited:
Looking nice, I would have scrapped and bought a new mind you after the 1st accident! :p

Also drum n bass!!! WOooOO!
Going to see pendulum on friday! :p (y)(y) (More electronic and now dubstep but meh!)

like the bumpers!

Last edited:
Cam cover stoved in high shine silver would look fantastic. Do the engine mounts (and other smaller brackets in satin black stove or powder coat. IMHO shiny can be too much but if everything's done shiny might be ok.

The engine bay its self can be cleaned down with gunk and hosed off. But don't use a pressure washer. Just keep gunking and hosing every time the car is washed.

The woman was obviously taking the pi$$ and maybe did have a sore neck, but she should learn to drive too. Great that you saw her playing with the kid like nothing happened.

Underneath you need to get the car up on axle stands and scrape off any dodgy underseal and do any repairs before recoating it. My car is a similar age and its starting to flake off in places.

Waxoyl has always been good . See http://www.waxoyl.com/en/produkte/ It looks like Finnigan's have been bought out by a Swiss company and there's a bigger product range than I remembered.

Alternatively http://www.rustmaster.co.uk/?gclid=CKuOgsqP2qECFRUslAodCWmqJw
They will have the equipment to do a really good job and could be cheap insurance especially if (as) there have been any insurance repairs.

Would it be possible to spray the manifold black? Or would i not be able to get paint with a high enough temperature tollerance? And yeah silver sounds good, i'll take your advice on that!

I haven't recently looked at the underside of my car, i shall do it tomorrow whilst i'm waiting for my alloys to be delivered, thanks!

Looking nice, I would have scrapped and bought a new mind you after the 1st accident! :p

Also drum n bass!!! WOooOO!
Going to see pendulum on friday! :p (y)(y) (More electronic and now dubstep but meh!)

like the bumpers!
Yeah i wanted to, but my friends and girlfriend convinced me otherwise (they love it too)
I didn't think many people on here would like Drum and Bass! Well played sir!
I also love dubstep ahah, so i'm not bothered about the new Pendulum stuff. I've always loved Pendulum and i'm in love with the new album. Have a listen to Island Pt.2 and Encoder.
Which gig are you going to? I think i'm gonna get some Tickets for Blackpool off eBay becuase i really want to go!:worship:

Ye its the blackpool gig I'm off to, got tickets on eBay at the weekend!
Island pt 2 is the dubstep track. Not a big fan of it but don't mind it either (y)

Hoping there's somewhere to park where my alloys won't get nicked :p
Getting some nice metallic blue dust caps aswell and they better still be there after :slayer:

Ah, im jealous! Wish i could go, but its a bit late buying tickets now =[
Ahaha, Blackpool isn't that bad! Theres a great carpark nea the Winter Gardens on Deansgate. I usually park there when i go into town for a bit and have had no problems

Back on topic -
Sporting alloys arrived and fitted today, they look great! They have quite a few scruff on them so i'm thinking of getting them refurbished. I have been recommended a mobile refurb business called "Wicked Wheels" or something. Anyone had any experience with these guys?
Next up i'm thinking Skirt and/or Spoiler. Want to give it a real Sporting look. Been looking for some Abarth skirts to no avail

Not very many replies, but no matter - i will carry on!
Fitted my JBL 100w enclosed sub the other day and just ordered a sporting spoiler. I'll take a picture of the alloys when i put the spoiler on and i've given her a quick detail.
Planning on spraying the interior grey coloured dash plastic in black with silver features.
Next update soon =] WITH PICTURES!

Looking good, keep up the good work!
Sucks about the accidents. I once brought a brava that had been in a front end smash, the owner didn't want to repair so I got it for £200 and repiared the front end (bumper, bonnet, wing and cross member) for £90, was a good laugh.
It's a shame the garage did a shobby job on your car, that would have really F$$KED me off since I like to make my cars look original - not all dogdy parts etc (y).

Nice job though, keep it up :cool:

where you get sporting spoiler from mate??
Got it from eBay. It was sort of a lucky find cause i got it for 20 quid. Should be arriving tomorrow.
Just did a quick search and found this for cheap if you can get it
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Punto-Sportin...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35a97aff6c

Should look nice when done!

BTW Pendulum was AMAZING!!! MOSH PITS!!
Hahah, yeah everyone i know who went loved it! Even Rob Swire said on his Twitter that he didn't expect that from Blackpool :eek:
No matter anyway, i have the album and my sub so i can think i'm there whilst driving (y)

Looking good, keep up the good work!
Sucks about the accidents. I once brought a brava that had been in a front end smash, the owner didn't want to repair so I got it for £200 and repiared the front end (bumper, bonnet, wing and cross member) for £90, was a good laugh.
It's a shame the garage did a shobby job on your car, that would have really F$$KED me off since I like to make my cars look original - not all dogdy parts etc (y).

Nice job though, keep it up :cool:
Did you end up selling the Brava in the end?
and yeah it does suck about the company. I've replaced most of the parts they replaced anyway now, apart from the headlight. I love my car to be genuine too

Thanks for your replies guys, any suggestions will be taken nicely!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
You'll defo have to go see em at some point though. I been blasting out new album since yesterday morning but it just isn't the same :(

Just got tickets to see em again with the prodigy this time in July!! (y)
Many others aswell

Did you end up selling the Brava in the end?
and yeah it does suck about the company. I've replaced most of the parts they replaced anyway now, apart from the headlight. I love my car to be genuine too

Nah I crashed it in some heavy rain on the way to work (which funnily enough I got a written warning for missing, idiotic Tesco managers...). Me and a friend stripped it down and sold off the engine & gearbox along with a door, scrapped the shell and some other bits. I still have the ECU and some other few bits lol.

Nah I crashed it in some heavy rain on the way to work (which funnily enough I got a written warning for missing, idiotic Tesco managers...). Me and a friend stripped it down and sold off the engine & gearbox along with a door, scrapped the shell and some other bits. I still have the ECU and some other few bits lol.
Not bad, get much for it?

Here is an update with the spoiler. I just put it on now using PU-FLEX from Partco
photo.jpg

Not cleaned her yet cause i've run out of wax and have no money left to buy some :( Will get some full pictures after shes sparkling though

Priorities obviously! :p
I didnt think i'd end up spending so much spraying it! It doesn't look too bad from afar, but up close it looks terrible. Better than no spoiler!

lol like your thinkin mate, i still need to spray mine havnt had time lol been smoothin bumper took a week of work for it lol

Back